Moderator Control Panel ]

William Rowland PENLINGTON

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: William Rowland PENLINGTON

Postby avaline » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:49 pm

I don't think there was a marriage. William & Eliza (if I have the right one) are both single on the 1881 census, and their first child, Eliza, was apparently born 28 Jan 1882.
avaline

Postby SDV » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Avaline - you are probably right about the marriage. They were both certainly single in 1881.

However, it wouldn't be the first time on my family that a couple have married after the birth of their first or even second child. If there was a marriage, it would probably have been after the birth of Eliza in 1882. And looking at where the children were born, probably in Holloway if in the first half of 1881-1891 or Hackney if in the second half.

PS I never found a baptism for William Rowland, though I know he was born in Clerkenwell in Oct 1855.
SDV

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 pm

SDV wrote:ianbee - those images look fascinating, but I'm afraid I am finding them difficult to read. are there transcriptions? And if so, where?

They are certainly fascinating, especially after reading avaline's posts.
The only transcription at the moment is the one I can provide!
Both of those children say that Ernest was a French Polisher. Sad about Mary Jane

I'll try and summarize the Emma exam, expanding some of the abbreviations where I see fit.
Emma Penlington 69 Hampden Rd
41, Widow, 5 Children, Needlework
Says I am the widow of Ernest Penlington who died 26 Dec 69 at 70 Hampden Rd (Lower Holloway??)
I was married in the Parish Church of Islington on the 12 July 1865 as Tant, a widow....
2 children issue Phoebe 6 last April, and Alice 4 last January
I was previously married to James Tant in Haggerstone Church 17 April 23 years ago as Griffiths, Spinster. My mother has certificate.
2 children, Thomas Tant, 15 last Dec? , Emily, 13 last Feb.
I have an illegitimate child named Ada born at 27 Hampden Rd on the 28 April 1871.
Tant died in Feb 67 in St Luke's Workhouse
(We?) had resided at 70 Hampden Rd 6 months before death of Husband
Next before at 2 Alexander Terrace about 11 months
Next before 2(?) Scholefield Rd 4 months

He never kept a house yearly since I knew him
I have heard he kept a house at White Conduit St (first wife's life? or something like that?)
Eugene is 13 years old (cannot read the rest of that)
I have 2 children with me of 1st marriage and 2 of the last

There seem to be a number of anomalies, particularly with her account of the Tant side of things. But I haven't gone into it very much. Was Mr Tant called James? Were they actually married? On those dates, Tant died after she had married Ernest!

On ancestry.co.uk the exam is here (if the link works!), maybe somebody else can suggest any corrections or further transcription
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/ ... 7655-00215  
ianbee

Postby avaline » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:20 pm

I couldn’t read what it said about Eugene either – possibly a reference to a workhouse?

I can see him admitted to Islington Workhouse 28 Jun 1872 (transcribed as Eugenia) and discharged 29 Jun 1872 aged 11 to Brit[???] Street (Britten Street?) Discharge transcribed as Eugene Partington

The admission/discharge dates certainly fit with the examination date.
avaline

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Hope SDV enjoyed that transcription.
ianbee

Postby SDV » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Indeed I did. Such a shame that these fascinating records are so hard to read.
SDV

Previous

Return to General research queries