Moderator Control Panel ]

Annie Phillips, missing after 1911

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Annie Phillips, missing after 1911

Postby Lennon2019 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Hello again,

I wondered if anyone might be up to the challenge of helping me to find my 2nd Great Aunt, Annie Phillips.

I'm asking because I'm sick of the dead ends

Annie Phillips was born on 11th November 1879, Stockton-on-Tees to Robert Phillips and Hannah Cornforth and less than 5 minutes later her brother Geroge (My Great Grandfather) arrived. Annie is living with her family in Stockton-on-Tees in 1881,1891 and 1901 but in 1911 she is sadly in Durham Penitentiary.

However, this is where the life of Annie starts to become more complicated.

Durham Penitentiary was actually known as St Mary's Home for Penitent Girls, or rather Magdelane Home might possibly be more familiar to you all perhaps.

Between 1901 to 1911 Annie became a mother to 3 boys, John went to one of her brothers but Robert & George were both born in Stockton Workhouse, which incidentally happened to be a street behind where Annie had lived all of her life. Only Robert survived into aldulthood I'm afraid.

As for Annie? She disappears after the 1911 Census.

I found a death in Stockton in 1934 but upon inquiring with the Registry Office I found it was a married Woman.

I found transport to Australia but also found that it wasn't for my Annie (her younger sister Sarah emigrated to Australia with her family in 1913 hence thinking it was Annie)

I have searched numerous marriages, deaths and transport records with no luck.

I'm not the only one who cannot find her, we are all stuck and even her own Great Grandson has spent a fortune on numerous certificates to find Annie.

Is there anything at all you could all suggest? No records exist for St Mary's Home in Durham Archives, Teesside Archives or the National Archives.
Lennon2019

Re: Annie Phillips, missing after 1911

Postby woodchal » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Annie Phillips with a birth date of 11 Nov 1879 is in the 1939 register in Lewisham, London, England with children

Isabel M Phillips - born 6 Mar 1914
Harold A Phillips - born 6 Aug 1916

The fact that she is reporting as a widow might not be a problem for you, it might just have been for convenience.

The name/birth date must make this something to follow up
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:13 pm

However the children's birth registrations both report mother's maiden name as Herrington. Did she go as far as faking her maiden name? Or is this just all a coincidence

PHILLIPS, ISABEL MARY HERRINGTON
GRO Reference: 1914 J Quarter in LEWISHAM Volume 01D Page 2139

PHILLIPS, HAROLD ARTHUR HERRINGTON
GRO Reference: 1916 S Quarter in LEWISHAM Volume 01D Page 1961
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:59 pm

However in genealogy coincidences do happen...

Annie Herrington 1879–1954
BIRTH 11 NOV 1879 • Stanstead, Essex, England
DEATH APR 1954 • Lewisham, London, England

Married a Harry Phillips
woodchal

Postby avaline » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:43 pm

I’ve noticed that there were a few adverts placed in the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer seeking positions for women from the Durham Penitentiary seeking a fresh start, so perhaps that’s where she ended up.

Also have you looked through the Stockton Guardians minute books to see if there is any reference to her there. If some of the children remained in the workhouse for a while, there may be some record of the whereabouts of Annie.
avaline

Postby Lennon2019 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 pm

avaline wrote:I’ve noticed that there were a few adverts placed in the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer seeking positions for women from the Durham Penitentiary seeking a fresh start, so perhaps that’s where she ended up.

Also have you looked through the Stockton Guardians minute books to see if there is any reference to her there. If some of the children remained in the workhouse for a while, there may be some record of the whereabouts of Annie.

Hi, as far as I am aware the only records surviving of Stockton Workhouse is Census records. Not even the building is there any more but there is a bell that used to be in there as it was in the hospital that took over it but its now in another hospital as the building has been knocked down.
Lennon2019

Postby avaline » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Durham Records Office has the minute books for Stockton Poor Law Union:

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/ar ... mID=167308

Stockton Library may also have copies on microfilm - I don't get there as often as I should,
avaline

Return to General research queries