Moderator Control Panel ]

Bigamy? Or another possible explanation.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby JET » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:49 pm

According to the Birth Certificate of Frederick George Elven (1904), his parents were Frederick Elven and Margaret Elven, late King, formerly Neale.

I am unable to find a marriage between an Elven and a Neal(e)/King.

The only likely candidate for the marriage of Frederick Elven is on 16 September 1899, when Fred Elven aged 25, bachelor, occupation Gentleman, married Margaret Wieland, a widow aged 28 by licence at Kensington Register Office. Fred gave his address as 15 Coleherne Road, South Kensington, and said that his father was George Elven, surveyor. Margaret gave her address as 622 Fulham Road and said her father was Peter Neale, accountant.

I have been unable to find a marriage between Margaret Neale/King and anyone with the surname of Wieland.

I have found a marriage between James Edward Gilbert King and Margaret Emma Neale, aged 19 (father Peter Neale, accountant) on 12 November 1887 at the Register Office in Kensington. They are together on the 1891 census, where Margaret is described as Margaret T King aged 21 born in Paddington. I have not found them on the 1901 census.

I am as certain as I can be without sending for the certificate that I have found a Death Registration for James Edward Gilbert King in 1902.

My hypothesis is that James and Margaret had separated, but not divorced, and then Margaret & Fred were married in 1899. Because Margaret was committing bigamy, in an attempt to avoid detection, she invented a fictitious marriage/surname.

Furthermore, Frederick Elven was not 25 in 1899, as he declared, but 18. This would have meant that he required parental consent to get married. Thus he added a few years to his age and amended his profession to Gentleman for good measure, to try to minimise the risk of being caught.

By the time their son Frederick George was born, James had died. Hence there was no more need for concealment, and Margaret dropped the Wieland surname on his birth certificate, accurately declaring her surname to be Elven, late King, formerly Neale. Frederick also reverted to the truth about his profession as an omnibus driver, rather than the gentleman he had claimed to be 5 years earlier.

Does this hypothesis seem reasonable? Can anyone think of a way to prove or disprove it?

Many thanks.
JET

Re: Bigamy? Or another possible explanation.

Postby MoVidger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Where is Frederick George and/or his parents in the 1911 census? It appears he had a sister Margaret Elizabeth Elven (born 1905 Paddington). She must be the "visitor" with the Alfred Brown family residing in Mortlake, Surrey. Do you know of a connection to the Elvens and Browns?
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Is mum Margaret Elven (age 40) the married "patient" residing at Fulham Road, Kensington? Her stated birthplace of Westbourne Park matches that of the Margaret Elizabeth visiting the Brown family. And she's been married 12 years (1899) according to the census image.

The census page(s) doesn't indicate the name of the hospital/institution - unless I've missed it! The attending physicians are rather young, so I'm wondering if it was a teaching hospital at the time?

So where is Frederick George and his father in 1911?
MoVidger

Postby JET » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes, I think Margaret is the one you have found in the Hospital for Consumption. Margaret Theresa Elven aged 45 died of Phthisis and heart failure on 1917. (Interesting that the middle initial of T reappears).

Emma Julia Brown (née Elven) was Fred’s sister.

My best guess for Frederick George (junior) is the Frederick Elveny aged 11 at the Mile End Boys Home in Bow in 1911, although he is actually only 7, so I’m a bit dubious. Intriguingly, there is a Joseph Elvin there too. I had originally thought he might be a brother, but I don’t think he is.

Frederick senior is, I think, in a lodging house in Molyneux Street in the Marylebone district. Aged 39, married for 14 years with 2 children, both still living, a house painter born in Stroud, Kent. The marriage details don’t quite correspond, but they do have 2 children still living, and Fred is described as a house decorator on Margaret’s death certificate.

Fred also muddies the water by sometimes using the middle name Allen and sometimes Gush (no idea where Gush comes from) which gets mistranscribed as George.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JET

Postby MoVidger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

You're right - it's the Hospital for Consumption. FMP doesn't state the name, and I checked it before Ancestry. According to the census, Margaret was married 12 years, with 4 children born, two living.
MoVidger

Postby JET » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:15 pm

There was definitely a William Samuel Elven born and died in 1909, mother’s maiden name Neale, but I haven’t found the last child yet. I do wonder whether it might be from Margaret’s previous marriage, even though I think it is only supposed to be children from the present marriage. So Fred’s census entry isn’t quite right, but as he was in a lodging house, perhaps the person who filled in the form just asked how many children he had.

Having wrestled with this marriage for years, I just wish I could find out where the name Wieland fits in.

JET

Postby avaline » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Re Frederick Jr, there is a record transcribed as Frederick Elstin aged 8 born Kilburn in the Isolation Hospital at Dog Lane, Neasden, Willesden.

Looking at the image I think part of it has been over-written, so it could be Elvin or similar
avaline

Postby JET » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Wow - thanks Avaline! That looks much more likely for Frederick Jr.

JET

Postby avaline » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:57 pm

Is this the birth & death of the fourth child?

ELVIN, PETER mmn NEALE GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in UXBRIDGE Volume 03A Page 54
ELVIN, PETER aged 0 GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in UXBRIDGE Volume 03A Page 26
avaline

Postby elsabels » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 am

1891 Census RG12 2048 70 16 has James, Margaret & child Olive b circa 1888 Forest Gate. Have you found this child?

The death entry I think you have found is 1902 Woodbridge Suffolk, may confirm who notified the death, etc

Margaret WIELAND

d/o Charles Wieland & Charlotte Sophie nee GAUBERT, b 08 Oct 1878 St Pancras bp 24 Nov 1879. Father desc as Hairdresser of Goodge Street, mother dies in 1881. I cannot find Margaret on the 1881 census, father is at Goodge Street.
1891 Margaret is with her mother's family RG12; Piece: 1028; Folio: 43; Page: 36
Louise S Gaubert 65
Marie C Gaubert 34
Esther M A Baker 65
Margaret Weiland 12

1899 alleged marriage to Fred ELVEN, Margaret would be 20

Esther M A Baker 75
Margaret Wieland 22 niece desc as single

Name: Margaret Wieland
Marriage Age: 28
Record Type: Marriage
Birth Date: abt 1879
Marriage Date: 26 Aug 1907