Moderator Control Panel ]

Mark Wright's episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Mark Wright's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello everyone,

Who Do You Think You Are? 2019 comes to a close on Wednesday, with a final episode starring Mark Wright. Mark, a TV presenter and former The Only Way Is Essex regular, will discover a family tree full of dramatic stories, including a connection to Sephardic Jews who were persecuted by the Inquisition.

The episode will be broadcast at 9pm on Wednesday 11 September on BBC One.

As ever, please share your thoughts here!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Mark Wright's episode

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

I thought this was probably the best and most interesting of the series. Mark Wright came across as truly interested in everything and made no silly remarks and appeared totally genuine in his responses. Thoroughly enjoyed it and loved how far back it went and all the historical details it held within it.
KayFarndon

Postby jblake » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Agreed. Mark's episode was as engaging as his wife's. Lovely genuine chap with no pretension or fake tears. Best episode of the series
jblake

Postby Daisy Isabella » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 pm

I have enjoyed all the episodes to varying degrees, however, this one with Mark Wright was definitely the best one. It was interesting, covered a great deal of materiel in the time frame as well as covering quite a time span. It also showed what records may be available to people with Spanish or Jewish ancestry.
Daisy Isabella

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:06 pm

I thought it was a good episode. There are quite a few set of records of people here in the UK (particularly in England) who were persecuted for their religious views going back to the 16th century or further.
junkers

Postby HardWork » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I thought that this programme was more like a return to the style of earlier series and much the better for it. It may just be though that there was a lot of resources to give it both breadth and depth. Some of the others in the series have been rather "thin" in my opinion. I thought Mark Wright showed a genuine interest but I have to query whether his great grandfather was being so patriotic during WW1 and wasn't just aware of how much his skills would be needed at a good rate of pay too. That might have been the incentive to falsify his age. However, he still went out there and did his bit , so no loss of kudos.
HardWork

Postby Tabithabenef » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 am

Really interesting - learnt a few things - More like this please -
Tabithabenef

Postby MysticDave » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 pm

My mother was illegitimate, so it was only after she died in 2013 that I had a DNA test and discovered my gfather was Jewish. I had watched David Baddiel’s episode, but not bothered with the Jewish editions otherwise, so it was a case of catching up - I tended to think I would finish up like David Suchet outside a graveyard in Lithuania. However, this was a very helpful episode as there is a trace of Sephardic DNA, which seems to go through Holland to the U.K. After UK, Us and the old colonies, Holland is the next highest match, so I think the Sephardic has mixed with some Ashkenazi before crossing to the UK, as I am mostly the latter. So, hopefully, I will get on to the Bevis Marks synagogue records somewhere and find the Dutch route as the chap at the end of the episode was clearly Dutch.

So, is there anywhere with more info about following Sephardic ancestry?

Secondly, distant rellies have told me that my gf was a Jack (so probably Jacob) Marshall, (a widely used Anglicisation of Jewish surnames, but possibly Marchlewski) born around 1910. He had a younger brother called David and they lived with their mother somewhere near Shamley Green, a village just south of Guildford. He and my granny, Violet Elliott, were working on a local estate run by a Mrs. Allen. I like a puzzle, but I am stumped at the moment, so if this means anything to anyone, I should be glad of some help. I realise that this is a delicate issue, especially at the time - 1930 - but I am only interested in my ancestry.
MysticDave

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:47 am

Hi Dave.
If you post your request on General Queries you should get some help,good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby MysticDave » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes, I will. I just thought that the Sephardic angle might bring someone, who knows! It was interesting how the link came through Holland and may be in Bevis Marks as I worked nearby many years ago.
MysticDave

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019