Moderator Control Panel ]

Le Pere - London family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Le Pere - London family

Postby Eleanorsamwellchow » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 am

Hi,

I am still hitting a brick wall with this one. I wonder if anyone could help me find dob and date of death for John Baptist LePere. Also I want to find out where he was and his wife (Phebe LePere) in 1841 (if still alive). I will set out the facts.

My second great grandfather is William George LePere born circa 1867 and married Mary Ann Jones. William’s father was John Creed LePere born 1823 and died 1895. I have a baptism record for John Creed LePere in 29 February 1824 with father John LePere and Phebe Amelia Creed. There is a marriage certificate between John Baptist LePere and Phebe Creed dated 1823. The census in 1851 shows Phebe LePere and her son, John Creed LePere was noted as a widow. I cannot find any records for John Baptist LePere or Phebe LePere the 1841 census.

John Creed LePere seems to have been with a Peter LePere in 1841. Peter was born in 1801 but not sure where or who Peter is to John Creed LePere.

John Baptist LePere lived

Phebe Le Pere died In 1857 and is said to be a widower.

I have found the attached 1841 census record showing a J LePere in an asylum but not sure if this is the correct person.

I have found records on the poor records of westminster showing that John lePere was still alive in 1833 and living at Beaufort Buildings Westminster st Clement Danes .
The page says he left in the fourth quarter owing money.
"He ran away ,don't know where -very poor -arrears cannot be obtained."
£5 12 6 was owed. He'd been there since 15 Dec 1827

Could someone help me to find the following

John baptist LePere DOB and place of birth
John batist date of death
The 1841 census information for the family.
Who Peter LePere was in relation to the rest of the family.

Thank you in advance
Attachments
1841 - Lunatic Assylum at Bethnal Green - possible John Baptist LePere.jpeg
1841 - Lunatic Assylum at Bethnal Green - possible John Baptist LePere.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 348 times
Eleanorsamwellchow

Re: Le Pere - London family

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:58 pm

To aid other Forum members, John Baptist LePere's occupation was "Shop Keeper" according to his son's 1824 baptism record. And son's 1858 marriage record indicates JBL's occupation was "Interpreter". Phoebe Amelia Creed's father was a "Custom House Officer" (per her baptism record).

This 1779 record for a Peter LePere on Find My Past. (I note the 1841 census for Peter indicates his birth year as approx 1801; occupation "Printer"). So is the Peter in the record below an older relative? I'm wondering if the "otherwise Peter Muttal Butler" refers to an alias?

London Lives, Culture & Society 1680-1817
Document Pauper Examination Books/Examination Books
First name(s) Peter
Last name Lepere
Source St Clement Danes parish records
Entry date 14 Feb 1779
Extract e the middle of May 1778 and at several different times afterward at one of which times he got her with Child of the Female Bastard Child of which she was so delivered as aforesaid and that the said <Lepere> otherwise P
Archive reference B1185

London Lives, Culture & Society 1680-1817
Document Pauper Examination Books/Examination Books
Record set London Lives, Culture & Society 1680-1817
First name(s) Peter
Gender Male
Last name le Pere
Source St Clement Danes parish records
Entry date 14 Feb 1779
Extract and is likely to become Chargable to the said Parish of St. Clement Danes she being Poor and unable to maintain the same And that one <le Pere> otherwise Peter Muttal Butler
Archive reference B1185
Last edited by MoVidger on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:34 pm

These FMP records (with images) look very interesting, if they are your chap. Interesting that he's French in one record, and Spanish in the other.

Prisoners Of War 1715-1945
First name(s) John Bte
Last name le Pere
Year 1803
Nationality French
Rank -
Ship name -
Name of ship or camp received from Jamaica
Prison camp or ship Mill Prison, Plymouth
Country of imprisonment England
Conflict Napoleonic Wars
Archive reference ADM 103/281
Document details Plymouth. French prisoners of war, 1803-1804

First name(s) Jn Bte
Last name le Pere
Age 27
Birth year 1783
Year 1810
Nationality Spanish
Rank -
Ship name -
Name of ship or camp received from Nestor Transpt
Prison camp or ship Portsmouth depot
Country of imprisonment England
Conflict Napoleonic Wars
Archive reference ADM 103/375
Document details Portsmouth. Spanish prisoners, 1806-1807
Last edited by MoVidger on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Another Prisoners of War record on FMP:

First name(s) J B
Last name Lepere
Age 33
Year -
Nationality French
Birth place Luxembourg
Rank Soldier
Rank as transcribed Soldier
Ship or corps 31st Regt Light
Prison camp or ship Forton
Country of imprisonment -
Conflict Napoleonic Wars
Archive The National Archives
Archive reference ADM 103/536
MoVidger

Postby avaline » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm

MoVidger wrote:And that one <le Pere> otherwise Peter Muttal Butler

This is the full report:
Sarah Wright aged about Twenty Six Years on her Oath Says she never was Married Rented House or Paid Taxes Says she lived a hired Yearly Servant with one Lady Macklesfied in Arlbemarl Street in the Parish of Saint George Hanover Square in the County of Middlesex for Two Years at the Yearly Wages of Ten Pounds hath quitted her said Service about Twelve Months ago since which time she hath gained no other subsequent Settlement And further upon her Voluntary Oath says on the fourteenth day of February last she was delivered of a Female Bastard Child in the House of Mr. Smith a Shoemaker in Browns Buildings Drury Lane in the Parish of Saint Clement Danes which hath since been baptized by the same of Sarah and is likely to become Chargable to the said Parish of St. Clement Danes she being Poor and unable to maintain the same And that one le Pere otherwise Peter Muttal Butler to her said late Mistress did beget such Bastard Child on her Body he having had Carnal knowledge of her Body in her said Mistresses House sometime the middle of May 1778 and at several different times afterward at one of which times he got her with Child of the Female Bastard Child of which she was so delivered as aforesaid and that the said Lepere otherwise Peter Muttal did beget the same and that he is the real & true Father thereof

Sworn this 16th. day
of June 1779 before Sampn Wright
Sarah Wright

So the 'aka' was Peter Muttal, and he was a Butler to 'Lady Macklesfied'
avaline

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 pm

Avaline - thanks for the image transcription. It was a struggle to read! Is there, perhaps, a link between butler Peter LePere (aka Muttal) and John Baptist LePere, considering the St Clement Danes connection?
MoVidger

Postby avaline » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:18 pm

I cant take the credit - it was already transcribed :D
avaline

Postby Eleanorsamwellchow » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies. I do not really get how Peter is Peter LePere and also Peter Muttal Butler? Is someone able to explain this to me?
Eleanorsamwellchow

Postby elsabels » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:28 pm

Alien Arrivals, England, 1810-1811, 1826-1869

Name: Jean Bapte Lepere
Port of Arrival: London, England
Arrival Date: 23 May 1837
Country of Origin/Native of: France

This narrows the date of death to May 1837 - 1851 when Phebey stated she was a widow
elsabels

Postby MoVidger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Eleanor - The 1779 record re the butler Peter Lepere (aka Muttal) is just for consideration. He probably has no link to your LePere family. I only mentioned it, due to the St Clement Danes connection.

Also, the Prisoner of War records I included could refer to another John Baptist LePere. It may have been a common name at the time. :?
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries