Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert Phillips, birth & death remains a mystery

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert Phillips, birth & death remains a mystery

Postby Lennon2019 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Hello, I'm praying that someone on here may be able to help me as I'm completely stuck on my 6th Great Grandfather. I've actually been stuck on him for years with no further luck and it's really starting to bug me now.

Following the usual routes of research, I started with myself, Mum, Grandfather etc but became stuck and despite many attempts at searching for Robert Phillips/Philips/Philipson in the general areas from his Marriage and his children's Baptism records I have been unable to get anything further.

I found his son (William) baptised on 2nd July 1772 in Bishop Auckland with Robert as the father and that led me to other siblings for William in the same area (Robert, Nicholas, George, Elizabeth, Margaret, Anne). Using the same logic I found a marriage in Bishop Auckland of Robert Phillips and Margaret Wray (Reay) on 28th May 1768.

According to Margaret Phillips death on 22nd July 1814, Bishop Auckland she is noted down as a Widow. I have found that Margaret Reay was born in Tanfield, Durham in 1741 to Crossmanus Reay and Margaret Lidster.

But again, I cannot find a death for Robert Phillips. I am literally at my wit's end now and no amount of searching family trees will help to solve this. Many have him born in 1748 Bishop Auckland but there's no proof to be found and have him dying in 1796 Darlington but the only Robert Phillips to have died in that time frame is a little boy and not a would be 48 year old man.

Please, is there anyone out there who may be able to help solve this mystery at last?
Lennon2019

Re: Robert Phillips, birth & death remains a mystery

Postby sdup26 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 pm

As you know, but for the benefit of others who may want to help with your search, there's a marriage for a Robert Phillips to Margaret Wray, Auckland St Andrew, 28/5/1768
Baptisms of possible children, all Auckland St Andrew:
Robert 9/6/1769
Nicholas 20/9/1770
William 26/7/1772
George 27/7/1774
Elizabeth 30/3/1777
Margaret bpt 28/4/1779; likely burial 7/4/1782, record says "daughter of Robert"
In all baptisms, father is Robert Phillips/Philips, but mother is not named.

Margaret Philips, widow, b 1741, was buried 22/7/1814, Auckland St Andrew. If this Margaret was Robert's widow, presumably he died between 1779, when daughter Margaret was born, and 1814.
Like you, I haven't yet found likely birth or death/burial records for Robert.
sdup26

Postby sdup26 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:54 pm

You say, "I have found that Margaret Reay was born in Tanfield, Durham, in 1741..." Do you mean you have proof this is your Margaret?

If not, it's worth considering the possibility that Margaret and/or Robert weren't born in Durham. For instance, there's a baptism for a Margaret Wray, 13/4/1740, father Ralph, Gosforth St Nicholas, Northumberland, about 25 miles from Auckland St Andrew. And for Margaret Reay, 29/1/1740 in Bolam, Northumberland, father William, about 34 miles from Auckland St Andrew.
sdup26

Postby Lennon2019 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi, thanks for replying.

To be honest I had not thought of the fact that Margaret could have been born elsewhere and cannot seem to recall what led me to Crossmanus Raey as a possible father for her. As far as I am aware there are only 2 trees on Ancestry that have this particular birth for Margaret with Crossmanus as a father. Mine and a Raey tree. My own tree is private and they have their birth/death dates wrong but the names are correct.

In regards to Robert himself, I have looked at Northumberland as a possibility for his birth as well as perhaps thinking of Wales due to a family belief that the Phillips family are Welsh. In a way they are correct but also incorrect, it was my Grandfather's maternal family that came from Wales.
Lennon2019

Postby sdup26 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I've checked the Parish Registers of St Andrew, Auckland, 28th April 1768, where there's a marriage between "Robert Philips and Mary Wray, both of this Parish." It's the only Robert Philips/Phillips marriage in the 1760's that I can see.
Then on 9th June 1769, there's the baptism of "Robert, son of Robert Philips, of Bp Auckland."
I'm not sure from that entry whether it means Bishop Auckland is where the family lives, or whether it's specific to Robert senior and refers to his birthplace.
sdup26

Postby Lennon2019 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:10 pm

That is something that has bugged me due to the wording.

I have followed as much as I can on all of their children, I haven't found a death for Robert Junior or a marriage but I know that he had a son named Nicholas in 1794 Bishop Auckland and that he was part of the Durham Militia.

My line goes through William who actually married a wealthy woman, something I've only just twigged rather recently. I knew she was an Eggleston but I didn't realise that she was the sister Thomas Eggleston, Master of Cornforth Papermill where William and Jane got married and William Junior was born.

In fact, William and Nicholas (the Cousins) went into business themselves and became known as "William and Nicolas Phillips, Papermakers of Aycliffe"

To be honest, the whole naming children after Uncles gets confusing but it has also made me wonder if there's a huge posibility that the Philipson baptism I have found on Ancestry is in fact him. I did a search last week and Stanhope is in Bishop Auckland.

Name: Philipson
Baptism Date: 13 Feb 1735
Baptism Place: Stanhope,Durham,England
Father: Nicholas Philipson
FHL Film Number: 0091113 IT 1-5
Lennon2019

Postby MaureenE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:15 am

Lennon2019 wrote:...but it has also made me wonder if there's a huge posibility that the Philipson baptism I have found on Ancestry is in fact him. I did a search last week and Stanhope is in Bishop Auckland.

Name: Philipson
Baptism Date: 13 Feb 1735
Baptism Place: Stanhope,Durham,England
Father: Nicholas Philipson
FHL Film Number: 0091113 IT 1-5

Following up on the FHL reference, there is a FamilySearch catalogue entry
Parish register transcripts, 1595-1780
Church of England. St. Thomas' Church (Stanhope) (Main Author)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/171133
Microfilm of ms. at the Public Reference Library, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

If you wanted to view the FamilySearch digitised microfilm:
To view these images you must do one of the following:
Access the site at a family history center.
Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library.

For more details about FamilySearch Centres, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/FamilySearch_Centres

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby avaline » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:51 am

St Andrew's Auckland was a separate township to Bishop Auckland, so I don't think there is anything sinister in the PR saying 'of Bp Auckland'.

Stanhope wasn't a part of Bishop Auckland, and many would say it still isn't, other than for postal / administrative purposes, but the two are close by.

Not sure if it helps, but there is a will probated in 1787 for John PHILIPSON, yeoman, of Broadwood in the parish of Stanhope, which mentions a son Nicholas and several daughters.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2365059
avaline

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:38 am

The will of Nicholas Phillipson, yeoman of Broadwood, Stannop (sic)
Proved 14 November 1765
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2358715

Wife Jane. Sons John, Nicholas. Daughters Elizabeth, Anne, Mary, Jane (married names)
Doesn't mention a son Robert though

sdup26 wrote:Parish Registers of St Andrew, Auckland, 28th April 1768, where there's a marriage between "Robert Philips and Mary Wray, both of this Parish."

Who were the witnesses? The Auckland St Andrew PRs have been digitized by the LDS and can be viewed at their Family History Centres.
Whereas the Stanhope PR's, though having DGS numbers, do not seem to be accessible at the moment.

MaureenE wrote:Following up on the FHL reference, there is a FamilySearch catalogue entry
Parish register transcripts, 1595-1780
Church of England. St. Thomas' Church (Stanhope) (Main Author)

Key word perhaps is transcripts
ianbee

Postby Lennon2019 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Marriages, Auckland District - Record Number: 526159.1
Church: St. Andrew
Denomination: Anglican
28 May 1768 Robert Philips (of this parish) married Margaret Wray (of this parish), by banns
Witnesses: Francis Johnson; William Wascoe
Lennon2019

Return to General research queries