Moderator Control Panel ]

Earliest dob for a grandparent of someone alive today.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Earliest dob for a grandparent of someone alive today.

Postby phsvm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Long story as to why I started thinking about this which I won't bore you with but it occurred to me that someone alive today could have a grandparent born in the 1700's which seems incredible.
Jane Austen was alive; George III was on the throne; the Prince Regent was living a life of excess.

Can that really be true - that someone alive today had a grandparent born during these years? Well, yes it is.

Imagine Grandfather Joe is born in 1799. He marries late in life (a much younger wife - he had an eye for the ladies and probably plenty of money) in 1860 and has a son Joe the Second a few years later, say 1865 - I did say he wife was much younger than him!

Joe the Second follows in his father's footsteps with a liking for younger ladies and marries late in life, let's say 1915 and he too has a child, Joe the Third a few years later - about 1920.

Joe the Third is still alive. He's nearly 100 but he's still going strong.

It took me a while to get my head around this and I certainly haven't found any examples of this longevity but has anyone else?
phsvm

Re: Earliest dob for a grandparent of someone alive today.

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Highly unlikely. It assumed that they weren't killed during a war or conflict or disease. Of course 1799 is effectively the 19th century. It is very unlikely that three sets of women would find themselves in similar situations marrying a man of much older ages. In theory online databases like ancestry might help and I suppose someone might be able to prove it but personally I think I have more chance of seeing the Loch Ness Monster!.
junkers

Re: Earliest dob for a grandparent of someone alive today.

Postby phsvm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:13 pm

It wouldn't need 3 women - it would only need 2. I didn't say Joe the Third had married!

It was really just to while away the time at 3.30am one morning when my brain decided to go into overdrive. It's not LIKELY but it's certainly not impossible.

And, as for the Loch Ness Monster, haven't you seen the press today?
phsvm

Return to General research queries