Moderator Control Panel ]

Regiment Help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Regiment Help

Postby Will Mundy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:56 pm

Hello,

Whilst tracing one of my ancestors William Derrick - 1792 in Thame, Oxfordshire I came across a military term on his marriage record to Susannah Roberts of Long Crendon in 1747. It says William is of the regiment Naylord Horford Regiment of Horse. I was wondering if anybody could help interpret what this means?

Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Regiment Help

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:53 am

Will Mundy wrote:...the regiment Naylord Horford Regiment of Horse. ...

Infantry regiments were originally referred to as Regiments of Foot, cavalry regiments were Regiments of Horse and dragoon regiments were Regiments of Dragoons. (A dragoon was originally a soldier who fought in battle on foot, like an infantryman, but rode on horseback to get around. Mobile infantry).

To take a sample naming further, but backwards - the Cheshire Regiment had that title (roughly) from 1881 to its final merger. From 1751 to 1881, it was the 22nd Regiment of Foot, and before that the name tended to be that of its current colonel. Thus in September 1689, Sir Henry Belasyse became Colonel and the regiment was then known as Belasyse's Regiment of Foot. And yes, it did change - often.

So Naylord Horford's Regiment of Horse was a cavalry regiment whose colonel at that time (assuming your transcript is accurate) was Naylord Horford. What I can't find is any listing that gives colonel style names for cavalry of that period in order to work out which it became.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help