Moderator Control Panel ]

Railway photograph

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Railway photograph

Postby Will Mundy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello,
I found this photograph amongst my great grandmothers photographs, Queenie, her husband Napoleon was a railway clerk at Kings Cross station in London. I imagine this photograph is Victorian, Napoleon Britnell was born in 1881 in Stokenchurch. There is no writing on the back of the photograph. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas when this may have been taken?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Railway photograph

Postby Editor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Will, we've submitted your photograph to one of our experts, Jayne Shrimpton, to analyse in our December issue (on sale now). She thinks that it is a photo from Kings Cross Station c1905-1915.

We have had a message in response to the photograph from David Ingleby who is the genealogy officer for the Great Northern Railway Society. He would also like to share the photograph on his society's forum to see if anyone can place it more accurately.

Would you be OK with us sharing the photograph with him? Alternatively, you can contact him directly at genealogy[at]gnrsociety.com

Thanks,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: Railway photograph

Postby Will Mundy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply and for choosing the photograph to put in. I am a subscriber to the magazine so saw it in there over the weekend, the man in question Napoleon Britnell, my great grandfather did work at Kings Cross for the majority of his working life. He was born in 1881, there are records of him living in a room in London during the very early 1900s.

I would be happy for you to share the image, and hope someone might be able to shed some more light on it.

Thanks,
Will

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Return to Photo identification