Moderator Control Panel ]

Age of Photo and Comparison

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Age of Photo and Comparison

Postby DianaCanada » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Unknown Man2.jpg
Unknown Man2.jpg (107.56 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Would like opinions on the age of this photo, which I found among my mother's things, it is inside a Christmas greeting cover, also included.
Also, if any of you have access to the British Newspaper Archive would you look at the photo on page 9, Sussex Agricultural Express, 18 Jun 1915 and tell me if you think the gentleman below looks anything like any of the soldiers there! Thanks so much!!
DianaCanada

Re: Age of Photo and Comparison

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:35 pm

I don't think he looks particularly like any of the soldiers on that page of the newspaper, although it's hard to tell as the newspaper photos are very poor quality.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not.
ksouthall

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:52 pm

ksouthall wrote:I don't think he looks particularly like any of the soldiers on that page of the newspaper, although it's hard to tell as the newspaper photos are very poor quality.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not.

Thank you, Kay!
I have determined, three years after having my and my brother's DNA tested, that one of the three brothers in the newspaper photos is my unknown grandfather.
A few weeks ago I took out my mother's box of odds and ends (she died in 1995) and the photo was sitting there, near the top, and I have no memory of ever having seen it before. It is too old to be one of her male friends from the WW2 period, and is not one of her maternal relatives, so I thought it might be her father. The time period of the photo would be late 1920's into the 30's, but just my opinion and that of a few other people I have shown it to.
I know the newspaper photo is not much re quality...I found it in the BNA recently, and was amazed it was there, luck on my side!
DianaCanada

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 pm

DianaCanada wrote:... It is too old to be one of her male friends from the WW2 period ... The time period of the photo would be late 1920's into the 30's, but just my opinion ...

I would have said 1930s into 1940s - collar, pullover and everything very much like my father as a young lad. So possibly very much WW2 period.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:03 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
DianaCanada wrote:... It is too old to be one of her male friends from the WW2 period ... The time period of the photo would be late 1920's into the 30's, but just my opinion ...

I would have said 1930s into 1940s - collar, pullover and everything very much like my father as a young lad. So possibly very much WW2 period.

Thank you, Adrian. Do you think the Christmas card pictured is of that era? It looks earlier to me.
I also wonder why she kept the photo. She did have a first cousin who died in WW2 whom I have not seen a picture of, but I would have thought she would have showed me and told me that it was him, as she did mention him over the years. He was born in 1921.
DianaCanada

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:02 pm

I don't see an image of a Christmas card, Diana, sorry....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:13 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:I don't see an image of a Christmas card, Diana, sorry....

Sorry, Adrian, it's in another thread further down the page, same title, part2!
DianaCanada

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Mmmm. I feel / guess that the design on the front could be 1920s, 1930s??????

The card appears to be a card back with a lighter piece of paper covering the photo itself. Is it???? That's exactly like the photos of my Dad and his siblings from the very end of the 1930s. But I have absolutely no confidence that's the only era that such stuff was produced. I don't have any such mounts from earlier, but then again, I don't have many such photos period...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Mmmm. I feel / guess that the design on the front could be 1920s, 1930s??????

The card appears to be a card back with a lighter piece of paper covering the photo itself. Is it???? That's exactly like the photos of my Dad and his siblings from the very end of the 1930s. But I have absolutely no confidence that's the only era that such stuff was produced. I don't have any such mounts from earlier, but then again, I don't have many such photos period...

It's a trifold with little slots for the photo. My guess is that he bought it at the photographer when he had the pic developed.
DianaCanada

Postby meekhcs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:29 pm

We have a Christmas card from WW2 that has the same edging as the card you have, but I think it’s a tenuous link when trying to pin down a date. However every little detail helps!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Next

Return to Photo identification