Moderator Control Panel ]

Help - Gravestone inscription - hard to read Roman Numerals

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help - Gravestone inscription - hard to read Roman Numerals

Postby wecanbeheroes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Can anyone identify this font if possible?

I'm doing research into someone laid to rest in my local churchyard. The years are done in a lowercase Roman numeral which is very hard to read. I'd love to know what the font is called if possible, or at least get some thoughts on the year of birth.

Here are 3 images of the numerals in question. I have an idea of the year but it would be really helpful to hear the thoughts of others.

___17what.jpg
___17what.jpg (129.19 KiB) Viewed 276 times

___IMG_20190902_182254_cropped.jpg
___IMG_20190902_182254_cropped.jpg (986.9 KiB) Viewed 276 times

___IMG_20190902_182254_darker.jpg
___IMG_20190902_182254_darker.jpg (757.94 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Thank you :)
wecanbeheroes

Re: Help - Gravestone inscription - hard to read Roman Numer

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:02 pm

As far as I can make out, it reads MDCCLXXXIV which equates to 1784. I am making the assumption that the three letters following MDCCL, are X’s. There could be no other numerals that could fit in those positions, although I’ve never seen X’s written that way.
Mick Loney

Postby wecanbeheroes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Mick Loney wrote:As far as I can make out, it reads MDCCLXXXIV which equates to 1784. I am making the assumption that the three letters following MDCCL, are X’s. There could be no other numerals that could fit in those positions, although I’ve never seen X’s written that way.

I thought the last 2 characters could be 'ix' making the date 1789, and yes, like you, I also thought those 3 characters could only be x's - I've never seen them written like that either, which is why I'd love to know the font that a stonemason of the time might've used.

The death was in 1860 in case anyone reading this knows about stonemason fonts from that time?
wecanbeheroes

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 am

I think you may be right, the last character is similar to the X’s, so it could well be 1789.
If you could find a burial entry in PR this should confirm it :D
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 pm

wecanbeheroes wrote:... I'd love to know the font that a stonemason of the time might've used. ...

I suspect that the typeface (not font - the typeface is the form of the letters, the font is a typeface in a specific size - put crudely), the typeface is probably called "That's the way I've always cut letters!" While some may well have learnt a style "properly", it's like hand-writing - it's never quite Secretary Hand or whatever - something always creeps in for convenience or personal preference and then the apprentice learns the slightly altered form and slightly alters it himself...

I've tried to find Gothic type letters like that "x" and failed - it's a seriffed vertical with a twiddly bit by the side, which seems to be there to distinguish it from other vertically based letters - like the "c". I think it's an "x" at the end as well, but with the lichen obscuring it and without a "v" to compare against, I can't be 100% certain.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries