Moderator Control Panel ]

WELSH TRANSLATION, PLEASE!!!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

WELSH TRANSLATION, PLEASE!!!

Postby David Ingleby » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:22 am

I have attached an article from the Welsh newspaper Tarian Y Gweithiwr edition of 13 June 1901.

Although having lots of Welsh blood, I don't speak the language, and would be very grateful to any Welsh speaker who can provide a translation.

Many thanks

David Ingleby
Lloyds from Trefeglwys & Rhymney
Attachments
HANNAH WATKINS - Tarian Y Gweithiwr 13 June 1901.png
HANNAH WATKINS - Tarian Y Gweithiwr 13 June 1901.png (211.43 KiB) Viewed 636 times
David Ingleby

Re: WELSH TRANSLATION, PLEASE!!!

Postby sdup26 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:00 am

David - in your search engine, put "google translate + Welsh." A screen should come up with 'enter text' on the left, and 'translation' on the right. Just enter your Welsh text, bit by bit, to get the English.
For example, 'wel, rhaid gadael yr eisteddfod y trohwm eto,' translates as 'Well, the eisteddfod must be abandoned again...'
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:59 am

Google Translate needs to be known better to a number of us. Time was when we'd be stuck if a relative ended up in non English speaking foreign parts. But with Google Translate I recently managed to stagger my way through some Danish.

Where it's no good, however, is when you can't read the writing, or when you hit local abbreviations - you have no idea how many abbreviations there are for Copenhagen but fortunately I had help for the first one and then it was a matter of seeing the same person with different abbreviations for their birthplace.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:51 pm

If you enter a webpage URL on Google Translate, the text content of the webpage will be translated (but not images)
https://translate.google.com

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:18 am

.... Though I found with my Danish exploration that Google Translate will cough and fail to translate large pages of text, such as pedigree reports. In those cases cutting and pasting the text a bit at a time is the only possibility.

As Maureen said, text in ordinary images has to be retyped.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:09 am

Text is provided
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3 ... 120430/38/

Do check it for errors before pasting into Google Translate, it seems to be mainly OK
Get something like
Well, we must leave the eisteddfod this time again. I also record the death of Mrs Hannah Watkins, the beloved husband of Mr Tom Watkins, Cambrian street, leaving her husband and toddler too early in life. She sang a lot in Cor Gwent, and I heard that she intended to sing with him in this eisteddfod, but that day she was lying in her white veil, ready to take her last self at Graig cemetery. Peace to their dust.
OWAIN GLYNDWR.
ianbee

Postby LintottM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 am

Hi, I am a welsh speaker and have translated for you.

'Well the time has come to leave the Eisteddfod again. It is with great sadness that I must note the death of Mrs H Watkins, dear wife of Mr Tom Watkins, Cambrian Street, who has left her husband and small baby so early in her life. She sang regularly in the Gwent choir. I heard that she intended to sing with them in this Eisteddfod, but that day she lay in her white shroud, ready to be received in her final resting place in the Craig cemetery. Peace to her remains'

It is not a direct word for word translation as this would not make sense. I hope this is ok.

Diolch/Thanks

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LintottM

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 am

You've done it better than Google Translate!
ianbee

Postby LintottM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:20 am

I thought google translate had done an alright job considering!

I have lived in England since I was 18, and still speak welsh to family members. I miss using it every day so it was nice to see it here!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LintottM

Postby David Ingleby » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:30 pm

I am very grateful to everyone who has responded to my query. I did think of Google translate, which I have used before but I didn't realise I could use the text on the right of the newspaper's page on the Welsh Library website!

I do know, however, that the OCR systems they, and the British Library for British Newspapers Online, do leave something to be desired and I couldn't face typing a transcript in a language that, sadly, I do not speak.

So I am especially grateful to LintottM for providing an excellent translation which tied in perfectly with the information about her death that I have. Thank you so much.
David Ingleby

Next

Return to General research queries