Moderator Control Panel ]

Applying for service records - timescale

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Applying for service records - timescale

Postby jblake » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi, does anyone know how long its currently taking for service records to be sent.? I applied for my grandfather's records in March and they cashed my cheque nearly three weeks ago.

I didn't have any missing information and I had next of kin sign off (my mother)

Jo
jblake

Re: Applying for service records - timescale

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi Jo,
If I was you I would contact them.Does seem a long time,especially as they have cashed the cheque.
I got my dad's last year which didn't take long at all,but from what others have said it seems to be
taking longer.Since March though does seem excessive.
Good Luck
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby jblake » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:05 am

I called the office in Glasgow troday and apparently the current wait is around 6 months or 2-3 months after cashing your cheque, if you have supplied all the required information (longer if you haven't).
jblake

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks for that - at least we know. It always used to be a long time, then it came down, now it looks like it's going back up...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jblake » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Well that's seven months now. Another phone call and their best guess is now about a month more.
jblake

Postby MaureenE » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:45 pm

See my post of October 14, 2019 in the topic "Roots Tech in London"
topic17984.html#p68461

Quoting from a Facebook post from Family History Federation

"Those wanting an Army or RAF service record can now receive these 3 hours later by visiting and ordering the records on the MOD stand at Rootstech. It still costs £30 but really worthwhile bearing in mind the waiting time for postal applications (up to 9 months!). Remember access to the exhibition hall is free on all three days so take advantage of this offer." You need to apply for the free entrance ticket to the exhibition hall.

Rootstech commences very soon from Thursday, 24 October to Saturday, 26 October. Located at
ExCeL London exhibition and convention centre, located in Custom House, East London.
https://www.excel.london/visitor/getting-here

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 pm

Three hours? "A very courageous figure..." (With acknowledgements to Sir Humphrey Appleby of Yes Minister)

Leaving aside the possibility of them being snowed under (like the wills - though the cost should inhibit that) that 3h target suggests that the Army and RAF records (though not, we must assume, the the Royal Navy) must be well organized.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jblake » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

So, they're going to allow people to queue jump? That's going to annoy anyone who's been waiting months.
jblake

Return to Military help