Moderator Control Panel ]

Applying for service records - timescale

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Applying for service records - timescale

Postby meekhcs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Janey,
I am being lazy here because I know I could look it up!!!
I applied for my Grandfather's records several years ago but because I was not the next of kin (I still have aunts and uncles alive) I only received his movements but no personal info.Is this still the case?
Many thanks Sally
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:51 pm

I’m not an expert on this, sorry.

My Dad signed the application as immediate next of kin, but despite extensive searching they found nothing. It seems it was due to my Grandad initially being in a rather obscure part of the RAF when he joined up in 1920. At some point in the early 1930s he switched from being *in* the RAF to being a civilian *employed by* the RAF (a civil servant, essentially). One way or another, all the records were lost.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby meekhcs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 pm

JaneyH wrote:I’m not an expert on this, sorry.

My Dad signed the application as immediate next of kin, but despite extensive searching they found nothing. It seems it was due to my Grandad initially being in a rather obscure part of the RAF when he joined up in 1920. At some point in the early 1930s he switched from being *in* the RAF to being a civilian *employed by* the RAF (a civil servant, essentially). One way or another, all the records were lost.

Thanks I will put a re read if the application prices on my to do list which at the moment is lengthy!!
Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:12 pm

meekhcs wrote:
JaneyH wrote:I’m not an expert on this, sorry.

Thanks I will put a re read if the application prices on my to do list which at the moment is lengthy!!
Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app[/quote
Of the application process even!

meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:18 am

Sally - yes, until X years after (proven?) death have passed, you need permission from the next of kin to get the full details.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 am

AdrianB38 wrote:Sally - yes, until X years after (proven?) death have passed, you need permission from the next of kin to get the full details.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app

Thanks Adrian

meekhcs

Previous

Return to Military help