Moderator Control Panel ]

Scottish brick wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Scottish brick wall

Postby mgilmour72 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Apologies in advance for my long winded story. Your patience and help would be appreciated.

I am looking for help tracing my ggg grandmother's birth cert. I am based in Edinburgh where much of my family lived. Ann McLeod born c1846 Edinburgh (according to all census' acquired). we have her death and marraige certs as well as all her children and step children and every generation forward to me.
The story going backwards:-
Ann Died inEdinburgh in 1913 at the age of 70 years. Her father is named as John McLeod (d) an anry pensioner and her mother Catherine McLeod (d). The death was registered by her son George Kinghorn.
On the 1911 cencus Ann Kinghorm is with her 2 sons David and John and grandaughter in Edinburgh (5 Grays Close). On 1901 cencus she is Ann Mcleod Kinghorn (55) washer woman with her sons David & Joseph at 10 Chessels Court, Edin.
On 1891 cencus Ann (55) is at 10 Chessels court, Canongate, Edinburgh with her husband and 4 of her children.
On 1881 census Ann (33) is in Canongate, Edinburgh with her husband and children.
In 1879 Ann McLeod marries John Kinghorn in Edinburgh. Her father is not named but her mother is Catherine McLeod.
On 1871 census Ann (27) a domestic servant is under the name of Ann Aitken living with John Kinghorn and his children in Canongate, Edinburgh. She has a child also called Ann (1) who is listed as a daughter of John Kinghorn. Her mother Catherine McLeod (55)is listed as a visitor on the second page.

This is where the problem starts. We have found an Ann Aitken (15) (laper maker)and Catherine Aitken (56)on 1861 census in Canongate and again on 1851 census Ann Aiken (5) and Catherine Aiken (39)
in the same area. NOW....

As we suspect Ann's bith to be c1846 she is not on 1841 census however, we have found an 1841 census ib Canongate with her mother Catherine McLeod (25) and a child Jas Aitken (11).

I have searched for 10 years to find a birth record for Ann McLeod or Aiken and cannot find one. Also we have a death cert for a Catherine McLeod (57) who died in St Cuthberts poorhouse in 1873 Edinburgh but no parents are recorded for her. I would love to have any help or advice on breaking through this wall.
mgilmour72

Re: Scottish brick wall

Postby MayHam » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 am

Would you be kind enough to guide me? I'm not finding Catherine's death record.
MayHam

Return to General research queries