Moderator Control Panel ]

Railway Accidents

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Railway Accidents

Postby LintottM » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:30 am

Hi, I have seen in the August issue that there is a list of UK railway accidents available.

I have an ancestor that died 'on rail' in South Africa in 1926. Does anyone know if there are records available or would I be better off trying to get hold of the death certificate?

Thanks

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LintottM

Re: Railway Accidents

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:02 am

It might be worth getting the death certificate as the information it provides might allow you to search newspaper archives and get more details that way.

It would also confirm whether or not the story is true as sometimes family stories get changed as they are passed through the generations.
ksouthall

Postby LintottM » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 am

I have previously found the death notice and will, but there is nothing further than place of death which states 'on rail' which fits the family story that he died on the railway.

Not sure how easy it is to access records over there either.

LintottM

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 am

I've no idea if South Africa has a system of recording railway accidents similar to the UK one. Quite probably I suspect given the UK influence. However, the scope of the UK system, even, is not total. Accidents have to be classed as notifiable to appear in these sort of lists and I'm dubious if an accident to a person in a train (something fell on them say) would appear in these lists if it didn't involve an accident to the train itself.

In other words, if you do find an equivalent list, have a look, but for certainty, you need to get the death certificate. Somehow.

PS the scope question of accident reports is something that I'm familiar with - my GG GF died in a goods train collision in the 1870s - there is no accident report in the published lists, presumably because the collision was in sidings, not on the network.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby LintottM » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:30 pm

I forgot to mention that he worked as a motor driver, so worked on the railway.

LintottM

Postby MoVidger » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Have you checked to see if there may have been a 1926 obit for him in the Scottish newspapers (considering he was from Scotland)?
MoVidger

Postby LintottM » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:55 am

I think I have tried the british newspaper archives but haven't come across anything yet.
Is there another source I could try?

LintottM

Return to General research queries