Moderator Control Panel ]

Which port would they have used?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which port would they have used?

Postby jo delaforce » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 am

I had Irish relatives that left Ireland? Which part i don't know and settled in Glasgow. To start searching passenger lists around ant 1853 which port would they have travelled to? I don't know if there was a direct passage to Glasgow from which Irish ports? If anyone can help I would be very grateful

Sent from my SM-A520F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
jo delaforce

Re: Which port would they have used?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:46 am

If you're looking for passenger lists between Irish ports and English / Scottish / Welsh ports, I'm afraid that you won't find any. Since it was traffic internal to the UK, there was no need to keep any track of such traffic. In fact the UK government didn't even require that passenger lists (if there were any) be kept of journeys between the UK and mainland Europe - the only exception to that rule being if people got on a passenger liner traveling beyond the Med (say) when it was probably simply the difficulty of splitting traffic from Italy (say) from traffic from India, that led to such journeys appearing in preserved passenger lists.

In your case, I'm afraid that they took one of several ferries where lists weren't kept.

The only advice that I can give is to make sure that you have*all* records from mainland Britain that might hold a clue.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jo delaforce » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks Adrian for the information. I thought it might help me try and identify which part of Ireland they can from as the Scottish census just says Ireland.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
jo delaforce

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am

Some background information on https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/ar ... h-guide-2/

That suggests there was more emigration from Ireland to Scotland than Ireland to England and Wales in your period of interest. That would suggest to me that the emigration to Scotland came from many parts of Ireland rather than just the closest bit, which would surely have resulted in a more even spread. I think.

And Glasgow was just a typical place to settle.

Make sure that you have any parents' names that are on Scottish marriage and death certificates although if they are at all common, it may not be very helpful when trying to look through Irish baptisms. And try to confirm their religious denomination in Scotland just to get an idea of which sets of Irish baptisms you need to look at.

Good luck. I think that you'll need it. I have a similar problem :-(

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries