Moderator Control Panel ]

Cause of Death Meaning

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Cause of Death Meaning

Postby Will Mundy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Good evening,

I have found with a few of my ancestors who died pre 1837 that they sometimes have a little bit of information next to their burial record. Some of them are straight forward such as cancer or outbreak of cholera etc however there is one that remains a mystery, that is a visitation of God, I was wondering if anybody knows what this could have meant?

Regards,
Will

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Cause of Death Meaning

Postby woodchal » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:18 pm

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/ ... f_god.html says

Occasionally he (The Doctor) would describe the cause of death as a Visitation of God. Used in a more religious time than ours, it meant the death was inexplicable and it was thought that God had decided that it was time for the person to die. It later came to mean that the person died of natural causes. It was a verdict often given by Coroner's juries, particularly in the 19th century.
woodchal

Re: Cause of Death Meaning

Postby JaneyH » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I have ‘visitation of God’ as the cause of death for one of my ancestors. I thought it rather fitting given that she was a devout Christian all her life. I guess that without a post-mortem it could have included things such as a stroke or heart attack - especially in the absence of any earlier illness.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to General research queries