Moderator Control Panel ]

Paul Merton's episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Paul Merton's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 am

Hello everyone!

Next week's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, starring Paul Merton, goes out at 9pm on Wednesday 28 August on BBC One - please note the changed time.

The episode will see the comedian and Have I Got News for You team captain tracing the life of his Irish grandfather, who is said to have been lost at sea.

As ever, please let us know what you thought of the episode below!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Paul Merton's episode

Postby junkers » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Interesting. However I couldn't understand why he needed to go to Ireland to see the 1901 and 1911 census when they are available online, similarly the First World War service records (The National Archives, Kew, and ancestry) and Caroline's record from the Old Bailey (available from Old Bailey online), I am sure that where the documents had come from and how people could find similar records would have been useful. As usual you should never assume that what you have been told about ancestors is actually true. I did briefly catch a reference to James Power and with a 'R' number whilst in the Merchant Navy of which there are service cards at The National Archives, Kew, in the BT 372 series, so there may be other records.
junkers

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:41 pm

Really enjoyed this episode.It was a delight.
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby meekhcs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm

We said exactly the same whilst watching the episode junkers!
However like Grace we enjoyed it very much.
At last in this series a celeb who seemed genuinely engaged and accepted, with out all the over acting, that there was good and bad and all was not as the Family had thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Paul Merton’s episode was definitely the best by a long way (so far) in the current series. Not only was I engrossed from start to finish but husband was too. High praise indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Lynne974 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:06 am

Really enjoyed Paul Merton's episode. His calm and thoughtful personality allowed his family history of very poor people to show courage and determination. I am so glad he was able to find his grandfather's grave. Can we have more episodes like this one, best of the series so far.
Lynne974

Postby Tabithabenef » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:39 am

The best in this series so far.

Need more like this, and felt for him. It was very genuine for a nice change.

No idea what kind of comedian he is as not seen him in anything I watch - I liked him and the way he dealt with things and with a slight humour as well when needed.

Shame he didn't find out more about his Irish side further back. Very pleased he found his Grandfathers grave at last & what happened.

More like this please.
Tabithabenef

Postby PaulH01 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Also thought this episode was good - both in terms of the content and presentation.

Paul Merton played this episode absolutely straight, and the script seem to have been written that way - unlike those of Katherine Ryan or the Whitehalls, for example, where there seemed to have been some engineering at times to try and bring out their 'on-screen characters'.

I also found the content interesting and agree with most of the comments above, but there is only so much you can do in an hour.
PaulH01

Postby paulr1949 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 am

I agree-I think it was one of the better episodes. We even got to see a few more of the documents than sometimes.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019