Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick wall

Postby Annetwoc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm

I’m trying and have been for nearly 10 years to find my 2nd Great grandfather. Name Samuel Calder born around 1815 in Ireland, he was a seaman. Im looking for a birth, wedding or death certificate for him!? Samuel Calder married Eliza Jane Gillespie, (don’t know when), they lived in Belfast Northern Ireland, they had 5 children John, Eliza, Jane, David, and Samuel. they were born in Belfast Ireland. I’m hoping someone can help me please.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Annetwoc

Re: Brick wall

Postby MayHam » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:18 am

Found a few of the childrens' baptisms at Shankill St. Anne's Church of Ireland online at RootsIreland.

Shankill St. Anne's marriages don't appear to have been uploaded yet on that site.
However, 1745-1845 marriages & 1745-1865 burials are available through the Anglican Record Project.

"If you have any genealogical queries, or would like to request a search, please read the information on our Online Store: https://store.ireland.anglican.org/genealogy and if necessary order a search."
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/ ... sh-records
MayHam

Postby ianbee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Don't seem to be very many Samuel Calders in Ireland.
Merchant seamen records
Samuel Calder born Strangford, Down, 1816

The record in BT 113 has been indexed with Samuel born 1826, but I have my doubts that it actually says that, and 1816 also ties in better with the other ones.
ianbee

Postby MayHam » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm

I notice son, David Calder, says he was born about 1853 according to his 1876 Toxteth, Lancashire marriage record to Sarah Whiteside. Subsequent Garston, Lancashire censuses say he was born in Liverpool.

There was a Samuel (son of John) Celder, Widower & Mariner, who married Margaret Doherty in 1856 in the Liverpool Church of England according to FindMyPast. He may be the same Samuel Calder who died in Liverpool in 1868 age 50.

I also noticed in a few of his childrens' baptisms he and his wife went by Samuel, John, Elizabeth, Jane, and Eliza Jane.
MayHam

Postby avaline » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:35 pm

MayHam wrote:There was a Samuel (son of John) Celder, Widower & Mariner, who married Margaret Doherty in 1856 in the Liverpool Church of England according to FindMyPast. He may be the same Samuel Calder who died in Liverpool in 1868 age 50.

The South London Press of Saturday 19 Sept 1868 carried an article about an inquest into his death which was held 'on Saturday'. He was a Seaman on board the Belfast steamer Electric and on the Friday he fell down suddenly on the forecastle deck and died almost immediately. According to the report he suffered with fits.

A similar article was in the Liverpool Daily Post on Monday 14 Sept 1868, so presumably he died Friday 11 Sep and the inquest was Saturday 12th.
avaline

Postby Annetwoc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 am

Thank you so much for the help and information sent I have found them very interesting and fingers crossed I can now find my missing great great grandfather. I will let this page know how it all goes and thanks to all that sent information, so kind. Cheers Anne

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Annetwoc

Return to General research queries