Moderator Control Panel ]

Can Anyone Read This Occupation..?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can Anyone Read This Occupation..?

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm

This is the 1861 census image of the family and employees of John Stewart, Tarbert, Gigha, Argyllshire: Gigha is an island off the west coast of Kintyre in Scotland.
He is married to Susannah (nee Allpress - my 1st cousin 4 times removed), born Fen Drayton, Cambs.

The occupation I can't work out is that of 14-year-old Donald Graham. Fmp has transcribed it as 'Herd', but I'm sure the last three letters are 'ird'.

1861 STEWART John 45  Susannah (nee ALLPRESS) 39 - Tarbert, Gigha, Argyllshire01.jpg
1861 STEWART John 45 Susannah (nee ALLPRESS) 39 - Tarbert, Gigha, Argyllshire01.jpg (861.52 KiB) Viewed 763 times

I've yet to work out why their eldest son, Robert Donald Stewart - Donald in the census - was born in Norway.
And sadly, their three youngest children, and one who was born in 1862, all died in June and July of 1863 of diptheria.
John Stewart seems to have died between 1863 & 1871 when Susannah is recorded as a widower and a 'Lodging House Keeper' in King Street, Batley, West Yorkshire. She was still there in 1881 and she died in 1882 and is buried in Hanging Heaton, W. Yorks.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Can Anyone Read This Occupation..?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 pm

I believe you are right and it is "Hird" - however, "Hird" and "Herd" appear to be synonyms.

It's a Scots word for "One who tends or watches over sheep or cattle" - apparently "Now only in comb[ination] in Eng[lish] as cowherd, shepherd, etc. " - which I hadn't realised until reading the Dictionary of the Scots Language entry on https://dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/herd.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:02 am

Many thanks for that Adrian. I'd spent quite a while trying to work out whether the word started with one letter or two. And thanks for the link to the dictionary. I don't have too many relatives north of the border, but something like is always useful.
Phil

Cachalot6972

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:43 pm

As regards Robert Donald Stewart's Sarpsborg, Norway birth: have you found his father John Stewart in the 1851 census? I note that he married Susannah in June 1853 in Cambridgeshire. I'd obtain a copy of their marriage certificate to see what John's occupation was at the time. Perhaps it was a job that took him abroad.
MoVidger

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi MoVidger, So far, I haven't found either John or Susannah in the census. And for the moment, what is on their marriage cert will have to remain a mystery - unless they suddenly reduce the price to £1.50 like the wills...
Phil

Cachalot6972

Postby ewanarm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 am

Think it could be Hind which was another term for Farm Labourer.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
ewanarm

Postby Cachalot6972 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks for that ewanarm. It's a moot point but I still think it's Hird - compare the 'ir' of Dairy [Maid] above. Although there were two ploughmen indicating an arable farm, it would have made sense to have had some cows as well.
From the Gigha website,
http://www.gigha.org.uk/viewItem.php?id ... +%26+Drink
Tarbert Farm has a herd of 60 cows - and the ice cream sounds delicious. Bramble & Whisky anyone...
Phil

Cachalot6972

Return to General research queries