Moderator Control Panel ]

Katherine Ryan's episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Katherine Ryan's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Hello everyone!

In next week's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, Canada-born comedian Katherine Ryan returns to her home country to discover her family history. The episode will be broadcast at 9pm on Monday 19 August on BBC One.

She investigates her ancestral connection to England and discovers the harsh lives of ancestors who worked in Newfoundland's cod trade.

As ever, please let us know what you thought of the episode below!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Katherine Ryan's episode

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 pm

It was a rather slow episode taking about 45 minutes to get to her English ancestors and there were a number of loose ends. It was ok but not great.
junkers

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 am

I hope other forum users will not think me too harsh in my comments, but I like honesty and I have decided that comedians do not make good subjects for this programme.

I wasn't sure whether I was having an art, history or an English lesson, there was so much verbosity and I just wanted Katherine Ryan to stop talking and making flippant remarks.

I totally agree with junkers and after 27 minutes I was just getting more bored by the minute. Katherine was certainly on a great 'jolly' I thought and sadly I got so bored I eventually switched off, as I felt I was not going to learn much.

I can only wonder why the programme's format has changed so much over the years and wish they would bring the old style one back. I fail to see how this series will have imbued any beginner in genealogy to begin their own research, which is a sad reflection.
KayFarndon

Postby Happy Seagull » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Interesting to hear her Mum sing "I's the B'y" - I've heard this at the Falmouth sea shanty festival in Cornwall, UK. I wasn't aware it was a traditional Newfoundland folk song.
Happy Seagull

Postby Daisy Isabella » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:42 pm

I think we have to take the people on WDYTYA as we find them. People who are flippant/light hearted or whatever in ordinary life shouldn't have to change just because they are on a television programme.The programme is about who do they think they are not who the viewer thinks they should be. As with all the series some people will be more interesting than others. I had never heard of Katherine Ryan but I think her episode did go back in time and covered several generations which not all other episodes have done. An improvement in each episode would be to say where various documents were found as opposed to a researcher just producing them. Ultimately the programme is entertainment designed to attract a reasonable audience as opposed to just serious family history fans and given that it has been running for several years the makers are presumably looking for new material. I thought this episode was okay. I liked the father and son episode best so far.
Daisy Isabella

Postby Tabithabenef » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Well not the world's best episode - but not that bad either.

Very slow and didn't get going - dwelt on a couple of things far too long.

Liked the bit with the portraits & the university - the Newfoundland bit was good and i liked the trip to Corfe Castle and the pub and house info. Would have been more interesting without actually going through the poetry, just said he had written poems. Great for her to see when she visited - but deadly boring for the TV viewer.

I think I learnt about wills from this episode - now all i need to do is find some in my family as easily.
Tabithabenef

Postby phsvm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Was I the only person to notice that Katherine's 4 x great aunt was also her 3 x great grandmother?

Going back through her mother's side they arrived at poet, James Arminus RIchey - her 3 x great grandfaher.

When they then moved to her great grandparents, Beatrice (James' grandaughter) and Frederick Wright and then followed Fred's line they found his parents were Matthew Richey Wright and Louise. Matthew's parents were Thomas Frederick Knight and Mary Augustus Richey, the sister of none other than James Arminus RIchey.

I don't know if they'd set is so that Katherine appeared to want to find an English connection at all costs or whether she genuinely did, but I think it was a shame they glossed over this section of marriages which was a marriage between second cousins.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 pm

I wasn't seeing things then... I couldn't tell you what the relationship was but I did think that I saw a link, and of course, trying to understand whether I was right or not, distracted me from listening to the bit that came next.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SarahTrinity » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi,
Sorry, worst episode I've ever seen. So boring! Really slow.
Nothing more to say.
Sarah
SarahTrinity

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am

I found this episode was interesting because I didn't know much about the cod trade at that time.

I also liked hearing the poems and letters. It was good to get an insight into individual family members and to see the portraits.

The links to Dorset were also good and I liked the range of records shown. There are links to some of these on the website:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... nk-you-are
ksouthall

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019