Moderator Control Panel ]

£1.50 Wills

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

£1.50 Wills

Postby Narnie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Has anyone else encountered a long wait for the reduced price wills? I ordered 12 on 23rd July, received 3 a few days later then nothing. It's very possible there's a backlog due to the reduced price but my expected delivery date was given as 7th August.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Narnie

Re: £1.50 Wills

Postby pollymac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes. I ordered three on 26th July and still waiting.
pollymac

Postby Narnie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks for that. I'll just have to be patient then!

Narnie

Postby Robbie J N » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Just a quick question to Narnie - Were the 3 you received the most recent ones?

I ordered 12 wills on 26th July, one from 2009 became available on the 28th (2 days) and one from 1998 became available on the 31st (5 days). Since then nothing else has been available to download. The next most recent one I ordered was from 1967.
I sent them a message yesterday evening, and have not yet received a reply, but it did say that might take 2 working days.
I have 14 more in my basket that I am putting off ordering until I have received the original 12 I ordered, just to see if they provide any useful information or not.

I hope neither of you have to wait much longer.
Good luck.
Robbie J N

Postby Narnie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Oh yes, I didn't notice that. The three I received were the most recent being 1996, 2003 then 1982. I think the next most recent in my order is 1969 then they're quite a bit earlier than that. I wonder what their process is if that makes a difference...

Narnie

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:15 am

Narnie wrote:... I think the next most recent in my order is 1969 then they're quite a bit earlier than that. I wonder what their process is if that makes a difference...

I wonder if the last few years have already been processed to some degree as a matter of course? Those faster ones might all be on microfilm, so no delving into the vaults? Or even scanned and digitised already? Just a guess to explain the faster turn round.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pollymac » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 am

I have ordered one for 1871. Also two more recent, for 1973 and 1984. Still waiting for them all.
pollymac

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am

I ordered 4 on 26th July and none have arrived yet. Two from the late 1960s and 2 from 1903.

The last time I ordered wills, they took a lot less time to be delivered. Details as follows:

Probate Ordered Delivered

2013 5/10/14 6/10/14 (1 working day)
1956 22/12/14 3/1/15 (7 working days)
1895 31/12/14 12/1/15 (9 working days)

I think the current delivery times are affected by two things. Primarily, the increase in demand; for example, Narnie and Robbie have ordered 12 each. I doubt if many people ordered that many wills at a time at the previous cost per will. Secondly, the will I ordered from 2013 took only 1 day to arrive which suggests it was already digitised so easier to process. Having looked at the Probate Record website it states the following:

A new probate record will be online approximately 14 days after probate has been issued.

This suggests that digitised copies are sent straight from the regional probate office to the central office. It does not give a date for when this started.

I'm assuming that, once an old will has been ordered and a PDF file has been created for it, that the PDFs are stored somewhere in the Probate Office's system so that they can be processed quickly if someone else orders a copy of the same will.

The four wills I have ordered are unlikely to have been ordered by anyone else for following reasons:

The early 1900 wills are from the unmarried siblings of one of my great-great-grandmothers so are most likely to be ordered by descendants of my great-great-uncle and my great-grandmother. That's about 200 people who might have ordered these wills before.

The wills from the late 1960s are those of my grandparents and are most likely to have been ordered by one of their 13 descendants. One of my cousins may have the original wills as I think my uncle was the executor which leaves 8 descendants on our side. Neither my brother, sister or our children would have ordered copies of these wills so it is very unlikely that anyone else would have ordered copies of these wills before.
Last edited by ksouthall on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:03 am

Further to my previous post, the Government announced in December 2014 "41 million wills available to search online for the first time."

Also, on the Find A Will website, you can search for Wills and Probate 1996 to Present. This suggests that wills may have been processed differently since 1996.

This would match up with people receiving more recent wills first.
ksouthall

Postby Robbie J N » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 am

There are 2 things that do not seem to make sense about the delivery times.

1 - I e-mailed their feedback service to ask why they take so long, as the GRO, which are slow, still only take 4 days, and in my (limited) experience, they have not exceeded 5-6 ‘working days’. Scotland’s People are virtually instantaneous with availability of their downloads. So why do wills take 2 weeks? All the wills should already be digitised and therefore it is simply a matter that the correct one be sent out. They should not have to go through the process of manually scanning each will that has been requested, as they should already have been. They will all have to be scanned in eventually. Strangely, the reply I received said that most are available after 3-4 working days. (I will believe that when I see it!)

2 - The use of the term ‘working days’ does not make sense. The first order I received became available after an e-mail was sent to me at 7:32 pm on a Sunday evening. If they are sending messages out at that time of the week, then surely even Sunday counts as a ‘working day’? Either ‘working days’, in their case, means Monday to Friday, and no service is available at the weekend, or if it is available, then every day of the week is a ‘working day’.

To K Southall:
I think several of the wills I have requested may not have been before. They are from an ‘extinct’ branch of my family where there are no direct descendants. (Trying to trace the ownership of various family heirlooms that have ended up in my father’s possession.) Only 4 of the 10, yet to become available, are for my direct ancestors.
Some of the wills have handwritten numbers next to them. They are referred to as ‘Folio Numbers’ on the search form. I wonder if those are the ones that have already been digitised and ordered by someone else before. (The numbers are seen next to the brief description of a will when you are searching the database.)
Robbie J N

Next

Return to General research queries