Moderator Control Panel ]

£1.50 Wills

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: £1.50 Wills

Postby jblake » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 am

Honestly it's a bit annoying people applied for so many all in a rush rather than spreading them out a bit. I work at a uni and know of at least one researcher whose PhD has been delayed by 2 months, incurring extra visa costs etc. becuse they can't get hold of the info they need.

Of course the load should have been anticipated but ordering dozens of wills at a time - as I know many people have - has caused huge issues for all researchers.
jblake

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:51 am

The point for me - and I only ordered 6 - was that with no background, we had no idea whether this was a short term experiment for a couple of months, or "for the foreseeable future". Even now, I don't think that I've seen any explanation.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:17 am

They day after news of the price cut broke, this website had the story
"Government cuts probate record cost to £1.50 for next 12 months"
By Rosemary Collins, 23 July 2019
"The price cut, which was introduced in a statutory instrument that became law on 22 July, will be in place for the next 12 months."
http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... -12-months
ianbee

Postby jblake » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 am

Yes, multiple sites I saw reported it would be for at least 12 months.
jblake

Postby junkers » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:36 pm

It might take 12 months to clear the backlog, HM Courts and Tribunal Service should have realised this might happen!. After two months I have been waiting for one certificate but I do take the point that large number of requests are unreasonable, in my view, but then so is the normal charge.
junkers

Postby jblake » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:40 pm

I don't think the original charge was unreasonable. When you factor in paying a person (plus taxes, national insurance), storage, and copying/scanning costs it seems to be about what I'd expect having costed out such things. As more records are digitised the cost should fall but this huge drop ended up not benefitting anyone really. I've also been waiting 2 and a half months for one will.
jblake

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Oooh, err. I missed that. Is that whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine site worth following do you think? :oops: (Shame-faced grin)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 am

jblake wrote:Honestly it's a bit annoying people applied for so many all in a rush rather than spreading them out a bit. I work at a uni and know of at least one researcher whose PhD has been delayed by 2 months, incurring extra visa costs etc. because they can't get hold of the info they need.

Of course the load should have been anticipated but ordering dozens of wills at a time - as I know many people have - has caused huge issues for all researchers.

I agree - ordering dozens is a bit excessive. I thought I was pushing my luck ordering 4 wills, although I do see the temptation in ordering more at that price.
ksouthall

Postby meekhcs » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:42 pm

ksouthall wrote:
jblake wrote:Honestly it's a bit annoying people applied for so many all in a rush rather than spreading them out a bit. I work at a uni and know of at least one researcher whose PhD has been delayed by 2 months, incurring extra visa costs etc. because they can't get hold of the info they need.

I agree - ordering dozens is a bit excessive. I thought I was pushing my luck ordering 4 wills, although I do see the temptation in ordering more at that price.

I ordered two wills yesterday, one from the 1960s the other from the 1990s. My estimated delivery date is November 4th. I’m not holding my breath!!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby junkers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 pm

I have now received the one Letters of Administration I ordered back in July, it is has taken just (!) three months, no apology for it being that late, shoddy.
junkers

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries