Moderator Control Panel ]

£1.50 Wills

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: £1.50 Wills

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 am

The 1999 probate record I ordered on 14th August was delivered on 21st August. I downloaded it today as I've been on holiday.

The earlier records I ordered on 27th July still haven't arrived

I also received an email reply explaining that the delay was due to excessive demand.

The main issue seems to be with the records from the Probate Calendar between 1858 and 1996 as these are not indexed individually.

Looking at the Soldiers' Wills, when you have searched the results are displayed in a table with the following details:

Surname First name Regimental number Date of death
ksouthall

Postby pollymac » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:07 pm

One of the wills due on 10th August arrived today. Still waiting for the other two.
pollymac

Postby ewanarm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 am

I ordered 2 wills on the 9th August so looks like have to wait a bit longer

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
ewanarm

Postby YetAnorUsename » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 am

I have contacted them - firstly after 20 working days, and subsequently after receipt of the first of the wills I order at 25 working days (assuming they work Monday to Friday inclusive) .

"Them" is in fact Iron Mountain (a commercial storage company), not HM Government.

The first response was that sorry, they were busier than expected. Really? :roll: Did they have that little idea? The second is that yes, they are thinking about reviewing the STILL quoted 10 day turnaround. And no, they don't currently know how long my remaining requests will take to fulfil.
YetAnorUsename

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm still waiting for the wills I ordered on 27th July. Is anyone else still waiting?
ksouthall

Postby Narnie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:58 pm

That seems odd. I placed my order on 23rd July and received my last will on 29th August. In theory you should have got yours by now...

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Narnie

Postby AntonyM » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm still waiting for two ordered on 24th July, which were due to be delivered by 8th August.
AntonyM

Postby pollymac » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Still waiting for two wills ordered on 26 July due to be delivered by 10 August.

I contacted them this week and this was the reply...

"We are working hard to get the service back on track and to provide a more realistic timeframe for responding to requests for copies of wills when there is very high demand. The information on the website regarding the timeframe in which requested documents are provided has now been updated".

As far as I can see, the timeframe has not been updated. The website still says copies of wills ordered should be ready to download within 10 working days.
pollymac

Postby junkers » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm

YetAnorUsename wrote:I have contacted them - firstly after 20 working days, and subsequently after receipt of the first of the wills I order at 25 working days (assuming they work Monday to Friday inclusive) .

"Them" is in fact Iron Mountain (a commercial storage company), not HM Government.

The first response was that sorry, they were busier than expected. Really? :roll: Did they have that little idea? The second is that yes, they are thinking about reviewing the STILL quoted 10 day turnaround. And no, they don't currently know how long my remaining requests will take to fulfil.

Interesting it is Iron Mountain, a private company who also manage Treasury records and this has been an issue of outsourcing of functions (currently there are 20,000 files that Iron Mountain or Treasury have tried to destroy of the Treasury records from 1991-1992 out of 28,000 records, which is unprecedented), which The National Archives refuse to take action over.
junkers

Postby Robbie J N » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 pm

So far, of 12 Wills I ordered on 26th July 2019, only 2 have been available to download.
I am still waiting on 10 Wills after over 8 weeks!

What I find annoying is that the 2 that actually became available have now expired. The whole of an order should be available for 30 days after the final one becomes available. Otherwise, it just makes archiving them a real chore, as I print out, save to PC, save to external hard-drive, and just to be safe, I also e-mail myself a copy. Once per order is fine, but in small amounts at a time can become tedious.
They need to get their act together and fulfil the orders in the timeframe they are still currently advertising! Or change the estimated delivery times. One or the other.

I hope others have had better luck in their waiting times.
Robbie J N

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries