Moderator Control Panel ]

HMS Discovery 1875

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

HMS Discovery 1875

Postby miles_osborne » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:43 pm

My Great Great Grand father James Phillips was the cook on the HMS Discovery 1875 Artic expedition under Captain Nares .

I've been trying to find photos of James Phillips, I've found photos which shows the expedition but not managed to narrow him down, as a cook I'm guessing I might be out of luck but if anyone does find any of him that would be great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
miles_osborne

Re: HMS Discovery 1875

Postby MoVidger » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

This message appears on the Scott Polar Research Institute (University of Cambridge) website, followed by a list of crew member names, including your ancestor, James Phillips, Wardroom Cook:

https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/friends/polarbytes/56/nares/

"Are you related to any member of the Arctic Expedition of 1875-76 led by Captain George Nares ?

Sponsored by the Royal Navy and The Royal Geographical Society, HM ships Alert and Discovery sailed from Portsmouth on 29th May 1875. The expedition, though blighted by scurvy, achieved a furthest north of 83° 6' 41" and collected much valuable scientific data. One member, Lieutenant Wyatt Rawson, was my great grandfather. If you recognize a forebear amongst the names listed below I should love to hear from you!"

Meriel Larken [Merielarken@hotmail.com]

NOTE: The SPRI also have watercolours by Staff Surgeon Edward Lawton Moss, painted during Sir George Nares' British Arctic Expedition, 1875-76 in H.M.S.Alert and Discovery.

Have you tried contacting them? They may be able to point you in the right direction as regards staff photos (if they exist). https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/
MoVidger

Re: HMS Discovery 1875

Postby miles_osborne » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 am

Thank you that is great, I'll follow that up and see if anything comes to light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
miles_osborne

Return to General research queries