Moderator Control Panel ]

Stillbirths

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Stillbirths

Postby Robbie J N » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a live birth and a stillbirth when looking up birth records?
If a child’s birth and death records are for the same quarter of a particular year, does that mean that they were alive when born, hence having 2 different records, or is it impossible to know for sure?
There are several relatives I have encountered who were born and died in the same quarter, obviously not my direct ancestors though, so I was wondering if they were definitely alive when born or not, especially when looking at records on Ancestry, Find My Past or the GRO.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this query.

Quick addition:
I checked this ‘Genealogy Chat’ forum before posting, and no similar threads came up. However in the ‘General Research Queries’ there is a similar thread. But if someone could still explain what the difference would be. Thanks.
Robbie J N

Re: Stillbirths

Postby Guy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Yes any birth shown in a birth register means the baby lived (even if just for a short time) after birth.
In a similar way any entry in the death register means that the baby was born alive.

Stillborns (since 1st July 1927 in England & Wales) are registered in a separate register that cannot be searched by the public, though any member of the public may request a copy of an entry in the stillbirth register.

Unlike entries in BMD registers although any member of the public may request a copy of an entry only the parents (or siblings if the parents are deceased) of the stillborn will automatically be granted a copy of the entry, the Registrar General makes the decision whether to allow all other applications.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Robbie J N » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The births I was interested in were both before 1927, although one was only just before as it was in 1926.
My grandmother had a cousin who has several articles about his life on the internet, and so does one of his sons, including a new one on Wikipedia, and they always seem to leave out one of his children, saying he had 12 when it was actually 13, so I was just making sure that all his children were living at one time or another, as the oldest was born and died in the same quarter of 1926.
Therefore the corrections I made were valid and correct.
Thanks again.
Robbie J N

Postby Guy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:46 pm

I should have mentioned many stillborns were buried in the local churchyard or cemetery. If your ancestors tended to be buried in a particular churchyard or cemetery it may be worth searching the relevant burial register or even better the plot register if available.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to Genealogy chat