Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Visit to a Scottish Shipyard

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Royal Visit to a Scottish Shipyard

Postby allymac » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:03 pm

[font=arial][size=1]I have found this photo of my great grandfather meeting the King and Queen - but it could have been before they became the King & Queen. I do not know where it was taken or when. All I know is that my Great Grandfather - John Napier - lived in Clydebank, Scotland and was born in 1892 and died in 1945. [/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1][/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]If anyone can help me date this photo and tell me where it was taken I would be grateful.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]Thank you[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]Allyson[/size][/font]

[]

allymac

RE: Royal Visit to a Scottish Shipyard

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I consulted a Scottish researcher about this and he said:

[font=arial][size=2]"It's probably taken at a ship launch at the John Brown shipyards, or one of the other shipyards on the Clyde. I'd advise the poster to look up the Scotsman online and see what articles come up with the king and queen in Clydebank, or at a yard on the Clyde."[/size][/font][/align][font=arial][size=2][/size][/font] [/align][font=arial][size=2]I hope this helps![/size][/font][/align][font=arial][size=2][/size][/font] [/align][font=arial][size=2]Cheers, FHA[/size][/font][/align][font=arial][size=2][/size][/font] [/align]

PS Or you could try the same search terms but use Duke and Duchess of York instead which they were before becoming King and Queen.
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby snaphappy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:53 pm

I would go along with FHA with this as it being taken along Clydebank. The King is dressed in the uniform of Admiral of the Fleet a title he gained on 11th December 1936. I would suggest that this was an early war time occassion as I have seen photograph's of the Queen mother in similar attire (and the same hat) for that period before. A long trawl I know but you may find out when they visited Glasgow and the Clyde via the court circular in the Times on line web site.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby tricia » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:56 pm

I would agree that this is probably John Brown Shipyards which built a great many ship including the 4 Queens and a numbet of the battleships during the war. It is supported by the fact that john Napier came from Clydebank. If you had the opportunity to come to Clydebank the local museum in the Town Hall holds a number of old photographs as does the Reference Library in Clydebank District Library.
tricia

Return to Photo identification