Moderator Control Panel ]

Margaret and Elizabeth HUMPHREY

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Margaret and Elizabeth HUMPHREY

Postby joannelovesbooks » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 am

I am hoping someone might be able to help me find my two missing 2 x great aunts.

Margaret Humphrey was born 1874 in Lingdale, North Yorkshire, and her sister Elizabeth was born 1877 in Didsbury, Manchester. In 1878 both girls and their brother William were baptised in Peterborough and shortly afterwards their mother Margaret was admitted to a lunatic asylum from which she was never released.

In 1881, Margaret junior and William lived with their father's sister and her husband James Warren in Brandon, Suffolk. This is my last sighting of Margaret.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth was with her father's brother, John Humphreys, in Santon Norfolk. In 1891 she was with her father William in Saddleworth, Yorkshire and in 1901 she was a domestic servant in Oldham, Lancashire. This is the last known sighting of Elizabeth.

I have searched for marriages, deaths, outgoing passenger lists and, of course, future census returns for both girls but to no avail. As I have exact dates of birth, I have searched for them with their first names only in the 1939 register but there were a surprising number of Margarets and Elizabeths born on their dates. Since both their mother and her brother ended their days in lunatic asylums I wondered if the girls may also have suffered the same fate.

Can anyone suggest any other ways to find out what became of these girls as I am most keen to find any surviving descendants.

Many thanks
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Return to General research queries