Moderator Control Panel ]

Kate Winslet's episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Kate Winslet's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Hello everyone!

Hollywood A-lister Kate Winslet stars on Who Do You Think You Are? next week. Her episode will be broadcast at 9pm on Monday 12 August on BBC One.

On the episode, she delves into her Swedish roots and discovers a drummer boy ancestor.

As ever, please let us know what you thought of the episode below!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Kate Winslet's episode

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 pm

I think the episode left a lot of questions, not least how a soldier's pension (we never saw evidence of the pension amount) enabled him to be of "independent means", I have not come across a similar case in the records. The Swedish-naming of children was interesting and which I didn't know about. What really annoyed me during the first half was the incessant and annoying music!. The comments about Dartmoor Prison were only valid at its beginning as there were the infamous riots in 1932 and one inmate (Collins) committed suicide rather than being flogged because he thought he had a weak heart.

Lots of mothers had 11 or more children (in an age of high child mortality) and lack of food, so I don't think the case cited was unusual.
junkers

Postby Tabithabenef » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Better than the previous 2 episodes - I am not sure how much was real and how much acting, but she was more believable than Naiomi.

For goodness sake if part of your job was punishing people - then you would not have a choice.- well you could refuse but you would be court marshalled probably.

Where is all the common sense - no-one seems to live in the real world or an I just too old for all this. Seriously i am not that much older than Kate and I learnt all this sort of thing at school and know people didn't have a choice.

I know times have changed & we are very much a nanny society now- but for goodness sake it happened then - you cant think of it like that now - I dread to think if someone tried it now - they would be sued or taken to the court of human rights or something.

I wanted to find out more about the Swedish family and a bit more of the family tree before they worked at the stables, where in Sweden they were originally from & if any family still lived there.

Hopefully next week will be more interesting for me and cover more family lines and interesting topics.
Tabithabenef

Postby PaulH01 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm

I thought the episode was quite interesting, especially the Swedish part.
I found Kate Winslet more irritating than Naomie Harris, who only went off on a rant once. Kate seemed to do so several times.
As with a few of the current series, lots of questions unanswered, and several places where I would have preferred the research to have gone in a different direction.
PaulH01

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 am

I do agree with the comments made and although it is upsetting to hear of floggings etc, it is history and was of its time and cannot be changed, so why get all het up about it?
It would have been interesting to know how and where to obtain Swedish certificates.

Can I add that my English great, great, grandmother had 12 children in rural Lincolnshire! All bar one survived, the youngest dying from accidental burning and certainly not malnutrition.
KayFarndon

Postby PaulH01 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm

One of my ancestors in Boston, Lincs. managed 13 children! Well-to-do-family as well - most survived to adulthood. I'm sure that number can be beaten. The tenth was called Malcolm Decimus (Byron).

But one of my great-grandmothers in the mining areas of Durham had 11 children, of whom only 4 survived. That must have been hard.
PaulH01

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019