Moderator Control Panel ]

Edward Charles Cave MC - died 1918 - MGC

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby phsvm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm trying to find out if Edward is commemorated on any war memorials anywhere. He was a Lieutenant in the Machine Gun Corp died August 1918 in France and was the son of Edward and Ada Cave of Thornton Heath.

Does anyone know if there are any websites listing those commemorated on memorials in Surrey or can give me any leads?

Many thanks.
phsvm

Re: Edward Charles Cave MC - died 1918 - MGC

Postby Sucher » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:56 pm

I believe that West Surrey Family History Society has a member who is transcribing memorial details. If I can find my password, I will have a look.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:09 pm

I appear to have unsubscribed to the WSFHS but on reflection, Thornton Heath isn’t in West Surrey. I still have the Society’s handbook and Thornton Heath is not one of parishes mentioned. A trawl of other Family History Societies may very well produce a lead. Good luck.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby brunes08 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:56 pm

In case you haven’t checked this out, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists Edward and where he is buried in France - on www.cwgc.org. There is also a possibility that you might find some information on memorials in the Thornton Heath area on the Imperial War Museum site - on http://www.iwm.org.uk. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Apparently there is a war memorial, within the St. Paul Church (St Paul's Rd, Thornton Heath), commemorating the members of the parish who were killed or missing in the First World War and the Second World War. https://www.thorntonheathchronicle.co.u ... he-fallen/
MoVidger

Postby phsvm » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:16 am

Thanks everyone.

I have his census entries, probate and Gazette entry as well as the CWGC record. It's just a war memorial commemoration I'm looking for.

I'll investigate your lead Mo.

Sadly the family had his death penny until it was stolen in a burglary some years ago and they have no idea what happened to his MC which they've never seen.
phsvm

Postby midshipman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:36 am

Looking at his medal card previous service with the 14th London Regiment (London Scottish) and 17th London Regiment are mentioned before he was attached to the Machine Gun Corps.
He was a resident of Cricklewood and joined these Territorial units as there were local. Perhaps he was mentioned on their memorials and rolls of honour?
He is definitely mentioned on the London roll of honour.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby midshipman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:44 am

Try www.londonwarmemorial.co.uk

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby phsvm » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks Midshipman.

He is listed on the London War Memorial site but without details of any memorial :-(

I did wonder about the Cricklewood connection so I need to investigate that area.
phsvm

Postby MaggiesMay » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 am

The church in Thornton Heath doesn't seem to have a website , but does have a parish office, which might tell you if the memorial with his name is inside the church. I think someone said there was also a roll of honour. (Where I work as a volunteer, there's a roll of honour for people who have donated, and we open it so people can look at the right page, if donors visit, so I would think the church might do the same, if they could).

Parish Office
St Paul's Church & Community Centre
23 St Paul's Road
Thornton Heath CR7 8NB

020 8768 5387
If you google it, there's an email address as well, but this system won't let me post it for some arcane reason.

If you needed a photo- I could go & get one, it's only a short bus trip for me.

Margaret
MaggiesMay

Next

Return to Military help