Moderator Control Panel ]

Alexander John Shaw - Monkwearmouth

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Alexander John Shaw - Monkwearmouth

Postby shawdl » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm trying to trace the early life of Alexander John Shaw born 1825 in Scotland, my husbands 2nd great grandfather. In 1861 he was a cabinet maker living in Monkwearmouth Shore, Sunderland. A widower living with his sons, James & Richard, his housekeeper, Isabella Dobson, a widow, and her daughters. Isabella is the mother of James & Richard, as stated on their birth certs, but I can't find a record of her marrying Alexander, who died in 1871. On that census and 1881 Isabella is calling herself Shaw.
I can't find Alexander before 1861 and would like to know who he married and who his parents where. I've looked at Scotlands People but there are a few possibles and I don't know how to narrow them down.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
shawdl

Re: Alexander John Shaw - Monkwearmouth

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 pm

According to the GRO online index, the mother's maiden name is Isabel TODD:

SHAW, RICHARD mmn TODD
GRO Reference: 1859 D Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 417
SHAW, JAMES mmn TODD
GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 364
SHAW, ALEXANDER mmn TODD
GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 450

Alexander died on 2 July 1862. Residence: Church Street.
Last edited by MoVidger on Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:56 pm

It appears the housekeeper Isabella (Dowel) Dobson's maiden name was Todd. so as she's the mother of James, Richard, and Alexander then who was Alexander John Shaw (widower) married to prior to Richard's birth in 1857?

There's also another son Matthew born January 1864. His baptism record indicates parents Alexander and Isabel. Father's occupation: Joiner Cabinet Maker. Residence: Bonners Field, Monkwearmouth.

These Scottish naming patterns may help in your search for Alexander John Shaw's birth.

James (named after father's father)
Richard (named after mother's father - correct according to Isabel's 1846 marriage record)
Alexander (named after father)
Matthew (named after father's oldest brother or father's paternal grandfather)
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Ancestry has an 1845 St. Pancras marriage between Alexander John Shaw and Ann, d/o Isaac Scott. Alexander is a piano forte maker and is the son of John Shaw.

Alexander, Ann, and 10-month-old Edward J. Shaw are in St. Pancras in the 1851 census. Alexander says he was born in Glasgow, Ann in Alnwick, and Edward in St. Marylebone. The only Edward Shaw I could find in the GRO in St. Marylebone around 1850 was Edward John Shaw s/o Ms. Hill in 1849. There was also an Ann Shaw died in St. Pancras in 1848 age 0.

Don't know if this the right family, though. Have you already seen this information?
MayHam

Postby shawdl » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:13 pm

MoVidger - Thank you for the info especially the Scottish naming patterns it's another avenue to explore.

MayHam - I hadn't seen this so will have a look and see if I can find a link. Thank you for posting.
shawdl

Return to General research queries