Moderator Control Panel ]

Jack and Michael Whitehall's episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Jack and Michael Whitehall's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:38 am

Hello everyone!

In a first for Who Do You Think You Are?, next week's episode will feature a pair of relatives, as actor and comedian Jack Whitehall and his father Michael discover their family history together.

The two are famous for their hilarious bickering on Backchat and Travels with My Father, and there's plenty of laughs as they discover some scandalous ancestors in their family tree.

The episode is showing at 9pm on Monday 5 August on BBC One. As ever, please share your thoughts on this thread!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Jack and Michael Whitehall's episode

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:38 pm

1000% more interesting than last week. Slightly perturbed when what appeared to be an original document were produced outside an archive as it did not seem to be a facsimile and we all know original documents should never be removed from an archive. The first rule in family history is to never believe a family story unless you can prove it, as this programme about the cart accident proved and the mother dying from a broken heart rather than saying she was in an asylum. What about the inscription on the Phillip's plaque in the church, obviously they didn't ask the local people what they really thought of him and shows you shouldn't take things at face value.
junkers

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:03 am

What a great episode,really enjoyed it.Made me laugh out loud a few times.
Showed how enjoyable and fun this hobby is.
Grace :lol:
Amazinggrace

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 am

I liked Jack Whitehall's responses to what he found out and his prediction about Richard Whitehall making the most of his time away from home.
ksouthall

Postby junkers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:48 am

If you need to know how to find cases of high treason as mentioned in the programme, for the record the cases of high treason were not dealt with by the usual channel of the Director of Public Prosecutions but by the Treasury Solicitor and Attorney General and can be found in the TS series at The National Archives, Kew, where there are a number of files on the John Frost case. Numerous files are also at Kew for the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Rebellions, again in the TS series.
Last edited by junkers on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junkers

Postby paulr1949 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am

I too thought it quite good, and better than the previous week. I was a bit surprised that Jack didn’t pick up on the fact that John Frost became a free man in Australia but didn’t die there. It would have been interesting to know if he came back to the UK.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Tabithabenef » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 am

Not one i would watch again. I didn't warm to either of them. The young one did have beautiful Blue eyes. After seeing a glimpse of their intertations together I can see why i never watched their show.

Only bit I liked was the Joke about where he came from in the document they were reading, as in Bedwelty mon (he thought it was Bedwetty & said it must have been the shock) I did like that joke.
Tabithabenef

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:02 pm

paulr1949 wrote:... a bit surprised that Jack didn’t pick up on the fact that John Frost became a free man in Australia but didn’t die there...

Mmm - slightly too interested in repartee, I think.

John Frost died in Bristol - see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fros ... prov=sfla1

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ewanarm » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Enioyed this episode. Felt Jack was sometimes being too flippant but 'pioneering scumbaggery' is a classic. Interested to find out more about the Newport Rising, didn't realise more killed than at Peterloo.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
ewanarm

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:19 am

An interesting point, that about Peterloo. Why does Peterloo loom so large but Newport doesn't? My guess would be that Newport had a genuine element of insurrection, so it's not as innocent as Peterloo....

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019