Moderator Control Panel ]

Naomie Harris' episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Naomie Harris' episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 am

Hello everyone!

The next episode of Who Do You Think You Are? will be broadcast at 9pm on Monday 29 July on BBC One.

It stars James Bond and Pirates of the Caribbean actress Naomie Harris, as she travels to the Caribbean to uncover her family history.

As ever, this thread is your place to discuss the episode once it's aired - we'd love to know what you think!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Naomie Harris' episode

Postby junkers » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 pm

I thought the episode was quite boring and held no surprises. It seems to me that the most you could say is that it was a plug for DNA testing, rather than doing the research first (or have someone doing it for you!).
junkers

Postby Tabithabenef » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:50 am

I am going to have to try and watch it again. I saw the first few mins about 5 mins in the middle and then the end few mins. I hope it was me too tired and not the episode. It didn't happen last week on Daniels or when watching the item on the other side the last few weeks.

Thursday 1st August
Managed to watch it. Well it was different - had a few unanswered questions - Again.

Its a bit of an unusual one - it went a long way back - in difficult circumstances too. I would have been interested to find out how and where they found the records, especially in the Caribbean.

I did get annoyed with Naomie a couple of times. We all know Slavery existed and heard the stories - no need to keep on about how wrong it all was - once was enough. Not sure how much was her and how much the actress.
Last edited by Tabithabenef on Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tabithabenef

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:03 pm

I too found the episode quite boring.
Her continual crying became tedius.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Daleb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 am

For me there was a problem with the way her Grandfather’s Birth Certificate was interpreted.
In my experience Jamaica, like England & Wales, didn’t record the Father unless he was there or married to the Mother. I seem to remember Colin Jackson identifying a Father from a Birth Certificate who was the informant but not recorded.
To therefore determine that she shouldn’t be called ‘Harris’, and that her Grandfather’s Father must have been his Stepfather because they waited 12 years to get married is therefore, in my opinion, wrong.
Daleb

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:54 am

Daleb wrote:For me there was a problem with the way her Grandfather’s Birth Certificate was interpreted.
In my experience Jamaica, like England & Wales, didn’t record the Father unless he was there or married to the Mother. I seem to remember Colin Jackson identifying a Father from a Birth Certificate who was the informant but not recorded.
To therefore determine that she shouldn’t be called ‘Harris’, and that her Grandfather’s Father must have been his Stepfather because they waited 12 years to get married is therefore, in my opinion, wrong.

I can see where you're coming from with this. At some point in the future though, Naomi Harris may be able to narrow down who her great-grandfather was because she has had a DNA test.

Colin Jackson may have been able to work out that the informant was the father because, from what I recall, he had taken a DNA test so wasn't just working from a paper trail.
ksouthall

Postby JJC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 am

Naomie also got rather uptight about indentured workers, calling it slavery by another name and ignoring the fact that such workers were being paid. She needs to be aware that this was a common employment system of the time, akin to apprenticeship. Many people (ie not convicted criminals) used this way of emigrating to Australia for instance.
JJC

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48 pm

I didn't believe that anyone thought that the Harris guy was definitely only a step father, not a biological father. It just looked highly likely - which it does. Highly likely doesn't mean certainly.

For me, the whole business about Liberated Africans was important because I'd never heard of it. Yes, Naomie did appear to be equating it with slavery by another name too easily, while her expert at that point was trying to hold her back. However, the producers of the film did confuse matters by using illustrations from the slavery era. They should have clarified that, and that apprenticeships under the Poor Law were quite normal.

One difference though between the Liberated Africans and normal apprenticeships is that generally normal apprenticeships are entered into voluntarily, whereas the Liberated Africans had pretty much no choice in the matter. We also found out nothing about how the indentured workers were treated compared to slaves - so a bit of a lost opportunity.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Disappointing...

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019