Moderator Control Panel ]

The elusive Hutchinson family from Huddersfield

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The elusive Hutchinson family from Huddersfield

Postby JaneyH » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Prompted by a looking at a new DNA match, I've been going back over some of my first research from nearly ten years ago. I realise that there are some big gaps in my knowledge about this branch, and despite a good few hours of work I've made little progress. Here's what I know so far.

My 2GGM Harriet Hutchinson married Henry Dyson on 8 November 1846 at St Patrick's Church, Huddersfield, according to the rites of the Catholic Church (this is from the marriage certificate). Her father is shown as Richard Hutchinson, silversmith. Whether the bride or the groom (or both) were Catholic I don't know, although I have a CofE baptism for Henry.

Going back five years to the 1841 Census, I find Richard Hutchison (note spelling) a clockmaker aged 45 living in King Street Huddersfield, with Mary (aged 45), Charlotte (25), Harriet (15), Charles (12),Henry (11), Mary Ann (8) and Jane (6). Initially I assumed that Charlotte was their eldest daughter, with a large age-gap ... but see below. [Piece 1275, Book 4, ED 4, Folio 32, Page 7]

The 1851 Census finds Richard (still a clockmaker) and Mary, with grandson Richard Dyson (Harriet's son) in King Street again. Roll forward to 1861 and Richard (clockmaker) and Mary are shown in what looks like Cowshead Row, Huddersfield. After this, I lose trace of Richard and Mary - no obvious deaths and no obvious records in the 1871 Census. Question one: What happened to Richard and Mary?

Going back in time, the 1851 Census gives Richard's place of birth as Burnley, Lancashire, in about 1797. Conveniently, there's a baptism for a Richard Hutchinson on 26 November 1797 at St Peter's Burnley with parents John and Nancy.

Next, I've looked in more detail at Charlotte Hutchinson from the 1841 Census. She's shown as aged 25 (with rounding) and not born in county - so not Yorkshire. I know that Harriet is definitely the daughter of Richard and Mary, but with the big age-gap, is Charlotte also a daughter ... or not? I've found a baptism for a Charlotte Hutchinson 23 October 1814 in Clitheroe, Lancashire. The parents are shown as John and Nancy (same names as Richard's parents) and John's occupation is a clock and watch-maker. This all seems like a spooky coincidence, so is Charlotte in fact Richard's younger sister, and not his daughter? This is question two!

Finally, I'd love to be able to find a marriage record for Richard Hutchinson and Mary, but have been unable to so far. Daughter Harriet was shown as born in Bradford in Censuses from 1861 onwards. Son Charles was baptised in Huddersfield in February 1829, but none of the other children appear to have been baptised. Of course there's the Catholic connection to consider, and I don't think there are Catholic baptisms for West Yorkshire online. Question three is locating a marriage record for Richard.
JaneyH

Re: The elusive Hutchinson family from Huddersfield

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Have you considered this 1869 death registration?
HUTCHINSON, Mary 74 Huddersfield Vol 9A Page 235
MoVidger

Postby avaline » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:50 pm

[I've looked in more detail at Charlotte Hutchinson from the 1841 Census. She's shown as aged 25 (with rounding) and not born in county - so not Yorkshire. I know that Harriet is definitely the daughter of Richard and Mary, but with the big age-gap, is Charlotte also a daughter ... or not? I've found a baptism for a Charlotte Hutchinson 23 October 1814 in Clitheroe, Lancashire. The parents are shown as John and Nancy (same names as Richard's parents) and John's occupation is a clock and watch-maker. This all seems like a spooky coincidence, so is Charlotte in fact Richard's younger sister, and not his daughter? This is question two!]

In 1851 she is at Spring Dale House in the parish of Lockwood, Huddersfield, with a PoB of Clitheroe.

There is a marriage in Blackburn, 15 Apr 1860:
James Greenwood 40 widower printer of [???] Whalley. Father Peter, a farmer
Charlotte Hutchinson 46 spinster of Blackburn. Father: John Hutchinson, clockmaker

The 1861 census confirms her PoB as Clitheroe.

There is a death registration in Clitheroe RD in 1866 - Charlotte Greenwood aged 50
avaline

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:35 pm

For what it's worth, there may also be an elder sister: Maria Hutchinson. Baptised 1793 in Burnley to parents John and Nancy. It appears Maria married a Thomas Pilkington in Altham, Lancs (west of Burnley). She died in Sabden in 1829.
MoVidger

Postby avaline » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Richard & Mary also baptised a daughter, Ellen:

St Peter, Bradford
22 Aug 1823 Ellen d/o Richard & Mary Hutchinson of Bradford, Clockmaker

21 Jun 1846 Huddersfield
William Sykes 29 of Lockwood. Father: William deceased
Ellen Hutchinson 23 of Huddersfield. father Richard Hutchinson, Silversmith
Wits: Richard Hutchinson & J Battye
avaline

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:28 am

Wow - thanks for all the replies! I’m on my way to work now but I’ll take a proper look this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to General research queries