Moderator Control Panel ]

Where in India?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Where in India?

Postby Sucher » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:54 pm

My great grandfather, Tom Taylor Nash was born about 1859 and married in 1891. He is described as a ‘Volunteer’. I know from his reservist records for WW1 that he had served in the Cape Mounted Rifles during the Boer War, so I assume that he had volunteered for that unit. My mother remembered a number of African artefacts and brass shell casings, her family lived with her grandparents after her father died of wounds in 1918.

That’s the background. I recall her saying that he had served as a groom in the service of the Maharaja of Jaipur.......... at least I think that is what she said and it’s a long time ago. I wish that I had listened to her more attentively. My experience of military research is negligible and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sucher
Sucher

Re: Where in India?

Postby junkers » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm

As far as where it is this might help (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaipur). For military research you could try The National Archives and the British Library (its East India and Oriental records) and I would suggest he may have been in India before the Boer War.
junkers

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:59 pm

As Tom doesn't appear in the 1881 or 1891 census, he could be serving overseas. I note that he married in summer 1891 in Hampshire. In case you don't already have it, would it be worth ordering the marriage certificate? His occupation may offer helpful (regiment) information, if he was enlisted prior to marriage.

Referencing info which Sylvia (RIP) provided in a 2013 thread, the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police (FAMP) were renamed Cape Mounted Riflemen in 1878.
Additional info can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Mounted_Riflemen
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 am

Thank you both for your suggestions. Tom married in West Meon Parish Church and I have a copy of the marriage certificate and that just describes his occupation as Volunteer. I shall go down the routes that you have suggested and keep my fingers crossed. Apparently Tom was a great fan of cricket so it’s kind of appropriate that the church where he married is the resting place of Thomas Lord of Lord’s Cricket Ground fame.

The church is quite simple, quintessentially English and it was a privilege to stand where Tom and his wife would have taken their wedding vows.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Sucher - sorry, I missed where you indicated earlier that Tom was a "Volunteer". May I ask what is the residence(s) on the marriage certificate? Also, have you looked for a possible military connection to wife Louisa Mary's family? There's a marriage in London in 1854 between an Elizabeth Hooper to a George Duncan (age 24, soldier, Portman Barracks). Are they Louisa's parents?
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 am

Hi Mo, thank you for your latest suggestion. Tom’s marriage certificate has gone temporary walkabout so I need to find it to check the addresses. Louisa Mary was indeed the daughter of George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper but George died in 1870 when Tom was about 11 years old so it’s unlikely that there was a military connection between the two. Added to which, George was posted to Canada during Tom’s boyhood. Regards

Sucher
Sucher

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I think it is rather unlikely that he served as a groom in India. The work a groom did would be the type of work which would be performed by a native Indian not by a British/European man.

If perhaps the Maharaja had bought horses in England to be shipped to India, perhaps Tom Taylor Nash may have accompanied the horses to India, but I think he is unlikely to have remained there to work.

Perhaps he moved to South Africa at this point as it is stated he doesn't appear in the 1881 or 1891 census and may have had a connection at this time with the Cape Mounted Rifles, given that he later served with this Regiment during the Boer War. Being a South African regiment, I don't think think someone would volunteer from England to serve in it during the Boer War. I think it most likely he would have e either been in South Africa at the time the War broke out, or he had a prior connection with South Africa.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Sucher » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Hello Maureen

Thanks for your input. Tom's whereabouts in the census dates that you mention is a mystery. As far as I know, he didn't have connections in SA and his immediate family seem to have been rooted in Hampshire for the duration of their lives. Louisa is also missing on the 1891 census, they married in West Meon, Tom's home village, later that year. More puzzlement.

I have found however that Tom's father was acquitted of charges relating to a stolen duck

Sucher
Sucher

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:23 pm

This is probably just a strange coincidence, but there was a Tom Taylor Nash who was a representative of the ALC (African Lakes Corporation) circa 1890. It was a British company originally set-up in 1877 by Scottish businessmen to co-operate with Presbyterian missions in what is now Malawi.
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:28 pm

MoVidger wrote:This is probably just a strange coincidence, but there was a Tom Taylor Nash who was a representative of the ALC (African Lakes Corporation) circa 1890. It was a British company originally set-up in 1877 by Scottish businessmen to co-operate with Presbyterian missions in what is now Malawi.

This is new information Mo, thank you. May I ask how you found it because it’s not coming up in any of my searches. Tom was Tom, not Thomas and the only other person that I know of with the same name was his nephew who was born in 1878, so too young for your discovery.

Sucher
Sucher

Next

Return to Military help