Moderator Control Panel ]

Where in India?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Where in India?

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Apologies, this is the link to the 2010 thesis:

http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/1507/2/B ... _final.pdf

TTN is mentioned on page 92 of the thesis. I thought it might be of importance as it relates to Africa and also the period when TTN may have been there. There is quite a bit of info on the ALC if you Google "African Lakes Coporation". Ditto for Alfred Sharpe.

It'll be interesting to see what address(es) Tom and Louisa provided on their marriage record. Perhaps the addresses can be cross-referenced to the 1891 census.

Question: do you have a copy of daughter Elizabeth's 1893 birth certificate? I'm curious as to what Tom's occupation was at the time.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:34 pm

Looks like TTN made appearances at his in-laws' marriages. He's a witnesses at Minnie Sophia Duncan's 1892 marriage; then at Maud Elizabeth Duncan's 1902 marriage. (Maude was the daughter of Alice Duncan. She is described as Alice's 9-year-old "sister" in the 1891 census for Shoreditch).

There is a Louisa Duncan (b 1864) who was admitted twice to the Islington Workhouse in 1884. She's described as "servant" and pregnant. She gave birth to daughter Louisa in December 1884. Her 31 Dec 1884 baptism record in Holloway is on Ancestry. Mother described as "spinster".

Oddly enough, there is second baptism for Louisa (born 16 Dec 1884). She's baptised in Islington under the name Louisa Phillimore Phillamore Duncan (not a typo). Abode: John Street. No occupation listed for Father.

Probably not anything to do with your Louisa, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 pm

MoVidger wrote: Looks like TTN made appearances at his in-laws' marriages. He's a witnesses at Minnie Sophia Duncan's 1892 marriage; then at Maud Elizabeth Duncan's 1902 marriage. (Maude was the daughter of Alice Duncan. She is described as Alice's 9-year-old "sister" in the 1891 census for Shoreditch).

Hi Mo, am aware of Tom's witness history but thank you for looking.

MoVidger wrote: There is a Louisa Duncan (b 1864) who was admitted twice to the Islington Workhouse in 1884. She's described as "servant" and pregnant. She gave birth to daughter Louisa in December 1884. Her 31 Dec 1884 baptism record in Holloway is on Ancestry. Mother described as "spinster".

Oddly enough, there is second baptism for Louisa (born 16 Dec 1884). She's baptised in Islington under the name Louisa Phillimore Phillamore Duncan (not a typo). Abode: John Street. No occupation listed for Father.

Probably not anything to do with your Louisa, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.

These ladies are not 'our' girl.

Tom and Louisa's daughter Elizabeth, was born at Newington Butts. This is in Central(ish) London south of one of the main stations, Waterloo. This from the 1901 census, in 1911, they were in Paddington where Tom is described as a Kitchen Porter so it's difficult to believe that he was doing important work for ALC but one should never say never, I believe that Butts were named after old archery practice fields.

I've found Tom and Louisa's marriage certificate. He is listed as living in West Meon, Hampshire, Louisa's address is given as Bethnal Green, London so no clues as to Tom's time in Africa.

Thank's for looking, how on earth did you find out about ALC?

Sucher
Sucher

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm very familiar with Newington Butts. In the late 90s I took the Tube to Elephant & Castle everyday on my way to work near Tower Bridge. :lol: As for the ALP link, I just Googled "Tom Taylor Nash" and "Africa". The thesis appeared. I wonder what source the author used for the TTN mention?
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:57 pm

I think you wouldn’t recognise Newington Butts these days Mo. Don’t know why but I had you down from the other side of the Big Pond. Anyhow, I think I’ll park Tom Taylor for the time being and record the anecdotes that have been passed down the family. Thank you for your interest.

Sucher
Sucher

Previous

Return to Military help