Moderator Control Panel ]

Parents of Mrs. Graham (Martha) Van Amburgh

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Parents of Mrs. Graham (Martha) Van Amburgh

Postby MayHam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:25 pm

Trying to find the parents of Mrs. Graham (Martha) Van Amburgh (c1816-1879).

Her son, John Daniel Van Amburgh, gives her maiden name as a Turner from New York State in his 1917 "History of Marshall County, Kansas" by Emma E. Forter.

After Martha died, Graham applied for a dependent parent pension for the loss of his eldest son, Cpl. Philip Van Amburgh, in the War Between The States. In his application, he writes that he was married to Philip's mother in Grove, New York on 2 August 1836 by Joseph Leonard, Justice of the Peace.

In 1830 & 1840, there was an Isaac Turner living in Grove, Allegany, New York. According to the 1850 census, Isaac was born around 1766 in Massachusetts.

He probably married first Ann (Moore?) who was born between 1771-1775 in New York State and died between 1836-1840.

His second wife, Sarah (maiden name unknown), was living with him in 1850 in Birdsall, Allegany, New York. In 1854, Sarah Turner of Birdsall and Hiram & Betsey Turner of Beloit, Wisconsin sold property in Birdsall to Reuben Willis of Grove. That's the last I hear about Sarah.

Any suggestions?
MayHam

Re: Parents of Mrs. Graham (Martha) Van Amburgh

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Hello MayHam, I trust you've already seen this record on Ancestry:

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Name: Martha Turner
Birth Place: NY
Birth Year: 1816
Spouse Name: Graham Van Amburgh
Spouse Birth Place: NY
Spouse Birth Year: 1816
Marriage Year: 1838
Marriage State: NY

In the History of the Town of Grove (see link below) it mentions that "the settlers of early Grove and Swains were typically Yankee-New England stock". So that lends support to presumed father Issac Turner, who's birthplace was Massachusetts. www.townofgrove.com/pdfs/History.pdf

Do you use all the usual online records for your research (Ancestry, FMP, Family Search), etc? I just don't want to present any redundant information. ;)
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks, Mo.
I do have Ancestry, FindMyPast, and FamilySearch access. I haven't found a lot aside from what her son, John Daniel Van Amburgh, wrote in the "History of Marshall County, Kansas:" "Mrs. Vanamburgh, who was born on August 2, 1815, died on December 24, 1879. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church..."

Martha's siblings *may be:*
Hiram (1806, Herkimer County, NY-1886, Beloit, Wisconsin). He married Betsey C. Young.
Joseph (1811, New York State-1901, Pittsford, Michigan). He married Maria McManus.
Mary A. (1815, Broome County, NY-1869, Chester, Michigan). She married Henry Cook.

In 1840, Graham's father, Abram Van Amburgh, is found in Burns while Isaac Turner was in Grove, both in Allegany County, New York. Graham & Martha's eldest three sons were said to have been born in Bath, Steuben, New York around 1840, 1842, and 1844. Daughter, Catherine, was born in New York State about 1846. The remaining children were all born in Illinois.

On Ancestry, Martha is found in Sycamore, Dekalb, Illinois in 1850; Troy, Will, Illinois in 1860; and Cass, Clayton, Iowa in 1870. She is listed in the 1880 Mitchell County, Kansas Federal Mortality Schedule, but Graham didn't know where her parents' were born. Martha is buried in Blue Hills Township, Mitchell, Kansas.

Thanks for your inquiry.
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 am

In the 1850 census, there's a teenage Isaac Turner living in Birdsall, where the elder Isaac is residing. Is he any relation to the Turner family you're researching?

I note that in the 1900 census, Hiram Turner says Connecticut was the birthplace of his parents. But that could be a memory issue, due to his old age. Joseph Turner identifies New York as his parents' birthplace in the 1900 census. In the 1880 census for Joseph, both birthplace columns are left blank.
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:52 am

Isaac Turner (Jr.), born about 1834, is another mystery.
There was a Cyrus Turner also in Grove in 1830, aged 40-49, (I assume).
I'm guessing Isaac could have been his son?

Cyrus may be the same man born 1787 in Rhode Island and died 1855 in Greenwood, McHenry, Illinois. If so, he is buried in Ostend Cemetery, McCullom Lake, McHenry, Illinois.

I suspect Isaac (Sr.) is the son of Ezra Turner, (Sr.) & Abigail (Blake) Cook. An Ezra & Abigail Turner had a son, Esaac, born 21 Jul 1765 in Middletown, Connecticut. Isaac was baptised there 19 Nov 1767 with his sister, Elizabeth Everts Turner.

Ezra (Sr.) was born in Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut in 1742/3 and died in Salina, Onondaga, New York in 1828. His first wife, Abigail (Blake) Cook, died in Whately, Massachusetts in 1777, I think. They married in Middletown, Connecticut in 1764. I can't find much about the rest of the family other than Ezra (Jr.), who is well-known in Plattsburgh, New York.
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:25 am

I know this doesn't help with confirming Martha's parents, but Ezra Sr "was in expedition to Saratoga 1777, son of Abraham, brother of Samuel Turner..." Ezra Jr married Amy Beman, daughter of Nathan Beman, who piloted Ethan Allen into Ft. Ticonderoga.

Ezra Jr is the son of Ezra and Ruhanna (Jeffries) Turner, according to an archive.org document. But she's the second wife, so it's more likely that Abigail is the mother of Isaac, Elizabeth, Stephen, and Ezra Jr, who were baptised in 1776.

Then there's possible relation Andrew J. Turner (born 1832, Schuyler Falls), son of Abel, who married Mary Hanford from Allegany, New York in 1860. So that's a possible Grove, NY connection.

The extended Turner family are well-documented in various online family histories collected at the turn of the century. Apparently they have Mayflower connections.
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks, Mo.
I would like to join the Mayflower Society in time for the 2020 anniversary but I'm stuck on Martha.

Ancestry has a "History of Washington County" (New York) by James Gibson, which describes the ancestry and immediate descendants of Abraham Turner.
https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/209 ... 04-00066-1

Basically, the same information is provided in Ancestry's "Families of Early Guilford, Connecticut, Vol. II" by Alvan Talcott, except it says Ezra Sr. had a sister named Martha.
https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/480 ... 06177-1177
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Through my dad's direct ancestors there is (supposedly) a Mayflower connection. I used to take it with a pinch of salt. However, my research strongly points in the direction of Francis and Hester Cooke. One day I'll proceed with a lineage match application. I do know that we're descended from the "Dorset Pilgrims".
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Very cool, Mo!
MayHam

Return to General research queries