Moderator Control Panel ]

GRO Consular Birth Indices Query

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

GRO Consular Birth Indices Query

Postby Robin1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Hello, Can anyone tell me how to order from the UK General Record Office a birth certificate for a Raymond Moores from the GRO Consular Birth Indices birth year 1897 -/+ 1 yr in Paris , France which according to Find My Past is Archive ref BCON (don't know what this means) p842 Vol 10 Line 22 British Armed Forces Overseas Births and baptisms. Raymond's fathers Probate confirms the family were in France as his father, James Henry Moores, of 26 Bis Rue de Clermont, Compeigne Oise, France died at Hotel des Bains, Granville, Manche, France Administration, London to wife, Fanny Moores 15 nov 1918. Fanny Moores may also have been a French Red Cross Nurse WO 372/23/29522. Raymond's 1st world war military record also confirms the family address and his father's details. How would I go about finding out what the family were doing in France in the 1st world war- the father, James Henry Moores was a hat manufacturer by trade b 1864 in Stockport and last found on the 1891 census living in Denton! In 1911 Raymond Moores is in a private school in Colwyn Bay ?? Tryymaes and I can't find any further details on this either. How could I also get James Henry Moores death cert from France?
Many thanks for reading this and for any help. Thank you :? :D
Robin1

Re: GRO Consular Birth Indices Query

Postby junkers » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:32 pm

I have no idea what BCON means either. For the birth certificate I suggest you go to the General Register Office (for England and Wales) website and order his entry with the details of Volume 10 and page 842 and the date. As I understand it a French death certificate would be held at the local town hall (Hotel de Ville), in this case at Granville which I think is in the department of Brittany or somewhere nearby. Compiegne is near Flanders where hat making would not be unusual and maybe they saw an opportunity there rather than in the UK.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:05 am

I have never ordered a GRO overseas certificate but believe that Junkers is right - go to the GRO site, but follow the menus carefully because you don't want to do a search as you have the reference already. And my feeling is that the Overseas stuff may well diverge in the menu flow somewhere in the proceedings, so read carefully!

I'd take a wild guess that BCON might mean British Armed Forces and CONsular records but that is just a guess.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 am

Also - have a look at the FAQ on the GRO site - that may explain how to order an overseas certificate.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 am

On the GRO website - go to the "Place an Order" page, and select the option of Birth (Overseas Events), and that the GRO Index reference Number is known - and order just like any other certificate using the reference you found on FMP.. i.e. "Paris .... Vol 10 p842"
AntonyM

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 am

junkers wrote:I have no idea what BCON means

Maybe
BCON = GRO Consular Birth Indices
MCON = GRO Consular Marriage Indices
DCON = GRO Consular Death Indices
ianbee

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Robin1 wrote: How could I also get James Henry Moores death cert from France?

I believe it is not difficult if you know (or can work out) the Department where the event took place, although I have never done it myself.

The French Genealogy Blog (in English)
https://french-genealogy.typepad.com/ge ... -anne.html
has links to the websites of the Departmental Archives.

I believe some of the older information is online, not too sure about the period you are interested in.

For background there is a section "Tracing the British in France" in the FIBIS Fibiwiki page French
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/French#Tracing ... _in_France

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Return to General research queries