Moderator Control Panel ]

Eveling family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Eveling family

Postby Hbhnewcastle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:09 am

Hello I am an experienced researcher but new to this forum. Could anyone please help with the Eveling family of Hannover. Diedrich came to England from Hannover about 1840. He married in 1844 in London and I have the family after that. His father also Diedrich was born in Hannover about 1790 and married an Irish lady called Ann. Any information or help greatly appreciated. Regards John

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Hbhnewcastle

Re: Eveling family

Postby MoVidger » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 pm

I've had a quick look at the 1841-1881 census records in East London which feature Diedrich Aveling (born 1817 Hanover), occupation: 'sugar baker'. (Note to forum members: surname is "Carling" in the 1851 census).

Have you located any records for his father Diederich/Diedrich? If so, which records indicate he was from Hannover and/or born about 1790? Do you know where or when he died?

Also, have your found a c1817 birth/baptism record for son Diedrich?

In case you haven't already seen it, this link provides very helpful information about Germans working in the sugar industry in East London in the 18th and 19th centuries. https://feefhs.org/emigration-anglo-ger ... background

"From the late 18th century, the main sugar refining companies were in German hands and they preferred to import German labourers to work for them. They came mainly via Hamburg where the British Consul often acted as agent for the Companies. There are no records giving details of where these "sugar bakers" or "sugar refiners" came from but they can often be found in the local East London church registers or the 10 year censuses".
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:50 pm

In the 1841 census, Diedrich Jnr is residing at Dock Street, Whitechapel (site of a sugar refinery). The directories of the time show that this refinery was run by Hodgeson & Son (1837), John Hodgeson (1845), and Harrison & Wilson (1857). It was nine-storey building, built in the early half of the 19th century by French prisoners-of-war during the Napoleonic era.

1851 census: I'm wondering if Ann, living with Eveling family and described as "mother", is actually the mother of Diedrich's wife Mary Ann (nee Leonard)? In which case, should you be looking for the death of an "Ann Leonard" instead?
MoVidger

Postby Hbhnewcastle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I will investigate and let you know the outcome. Regards John

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Hbhnewcastle

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 pm

If you have an Ancestry subscription, this record collection may be worth searching: England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869 The collection does include various "sugar bakers" from Hannover, but you'll need to look at the images for occupation and town/city of origin details.

Do you have the c1820 birth/baptism for Mary Ann Leonard? Just curious as to her parent's names.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi John - two other things to bear in mind with German sugar bakers emigrating to England:

1. It was common practice for German males to use their second forename. So Diedrich may be his middle name.

2. The census reports indicate Diedrich was from Hannover, but he could have been referring to the kingdom rather than the city.

With that said, there is a German baptism record on Ancestry which looks promising. Although the father's name isn't Diederich.

Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1518-1921
Name: Johann Diederich Ebeling
Event Type: Taufe (Baptism)
Birth Date: 17 Dez 1819 (17 Dec 1819)
Baptism Place: Badbergen, Hannover, Deutschland (Germany)
Father: Joh Henr Ebeling
Mother: Lucia Maria Strodmanns
City or District: Badbergen
MoVidger

Postby Hbhnewcastle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Hello again. I have checked the aliens register without success but would he be an alien if he was a British subject as shown on census returns.
There are disputes about who her parents were. Some say John Leonard and Sarah Heath, others say Philip Leonard and Maria Griffin. I cannot prove or disprove either
Regards
John Harrison

Hbhnewcastle

Postby MoVidger » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Just a guess, but with a c1817 birth year, did Diedrich claim to be a British Subject because he was born during the reign of George III (who became King of Hanover in 1814)?

Question: why would the Leonard couples you mentioned be considered for Mary Ann's parents? After all, her 1844 marriage record indicates her father was a James Leonard (carpenter). Also, a John Leonard was one of the marriage witnesses.
MoVidger

Postby Hbhnewcastle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Hello. The first I knew about BS was when I saw it on the 1881 census when it was first published.
As far as the Leonard's go I should have said that I had James from the marriage cert, but other people seemed to have the alternatives. There is an entry on the 1851 Scottish census which could be James.
Thanks for your ongoing help.

Hbhnewcastle

Postby MayHam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:46 am

If the fathers of the bride or groom were deceased, they wouldn't normally have their occupation listed on the marriage certificate, would they? So, presumably both fathers were alive in 1841?

I wonder if the German Embassy in London would have any information?
MayHam

Next

Return to General research queries