Moderator Control Panel ]

Daniel Radcliffe's episode

A place to chat about the 16th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Kate Winslet, Daniel Radcliffe, Sharon Osbourne and more.

Daniel Radcliffe's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:24 am

Hello everyone!

Series 16 of Who Do You Think You Are? kicks off at 9pm on Monday 22 July on BBC One, with a fantastic episode featuring Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe.

The episode sees Daniel uncovering the dramatic story of a jeweller ancestor's rise and fall, as well as a moving collection of letters from the Western Front.

As ever, please share your comments about the episode on this thread - we'd love to know what you think!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Daniel Radcliffe's episode

Postby junkers » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Given that I am not a Harry Potter fan, I thought both parts of the episode were very good. For reference the Metropolitan Police file in MEPO 3 series at The National Archives on the jewellery robbery is on the link (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/C1257400). It was well-known the views of the police about Jewish people and often jumping to a wrong conclusion, I have seen a very similar insurance case in the archives with similar credentials and prejudice. The only thing that annoyed me was the number of different people Daniel had to see.
junkers

Postby HardWork » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 pm

I thought Daniel carried, what was overall, a rather thin and dull episode. Not to detract from the human stories, but there was little genealogical discovery involved.
HardWork

Postby paulr1949 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 am

I thought this episode was one of the better ones. As Junkers said, it was interesting to see an actual police investigation report. The only bit I found slightly odd was after his aunt(?) had given him the wartime letters as a "family memento", the lady in the Belfast museum was talking about them as being in the museum's collection. Looking forward to the rest of the series ;-)
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Tabithabenef » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:41 am

I like Daniel Radcliffe and found his interest very refreshing.

I was confused about the letters too, unless the archive have copies - but why did the historian come up with a last letter, when Auntie didn't. Very spooky he sent the last letter with a bye bye on it, as if he knew. Glad we found out they got married. Would like to know who did have that very last letter.

Little too long on the Diamond thing, but different - not a lot of family tree investigation involved - more research on the police files. Shows the typical feelings at the time & how blinkered some of the police were.
Wonder if they would consider doing another episode with Daniel as I am sure there is a lot more to his family tree further back on both sides. I think it would be very interesting.

Overall a good start to the series.
Tabithabenef

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Enjoyed the episode,but felt they didn't go far enough back.
Grace. :D
Amazinggrace

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 am

I enjoyed this episode. I liked the amount of detail they went into and the range of sources they used.

Personally, I think it's better to cover fewer generations in more depth, rather than just go back as far as possible without finding out much about individual family members.
ksouthall

Postby devonliz » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:57 am

Interesting point when Daniel was reading out the letter from the relative who was a soldier in the Great War - he said 'We have been issued with three blankets so we are not starving ...'
Clearly here the word 'starving' means 'cold'. I've heard this usage in a poetic sense but perhaps it's an Irish term - as in 'starving in a garret', where one would be cold.
devonliz

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:33 am

"Starved" or "starving" for cold is something I'm very familiar with in Cheshire.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2019