Moderator Control Panel ]

Shaw/Nattrass in Durham

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Shaw/Nattrass in Durham

Postby PaulH01 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 pm

I have an ancestor John Shaw, baptised 1744 in Auckland Co. Durham.
His parents were Thomas Shaw and Anne Nattress (spelt several different ways).
They were married in Auckland in 1736.
Children are, in order: Elizabeth, Anne, John, Martha, Robert, Ralph

I cannot see much for John Shaw, but he may have had a sister Mary born Auckland 1716 to Thomas Shaw/Ann Mires, married 1713 in Auckland. Not sure of this because of the children's names above.

On the other hand, I can see a lot of Anne Nattrass! It is a Weardale name and there are many of them.
It could be: born 1715 Stanhope father John
born 1709 Witton Gilbert father John
born 1709 Hamsterley father Ralph
All of these are plausible and are all near Auckland.
I see a couple of FS trees pointing at Stanhope, and one Ancestry tree pointing at Witton Gilbert.
Some trees end up at Hamsterley (John Nattres 1570-) in the end anyway.
Children's name may indicate father John is favourite.

Can anyone find any more information, have any suggestions?
Thanks!
PaulH01

Re: Shaw/Nattrass in Durham

Postby junkers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Firstly I would be wary of family trees unless they are based on actual documents, the further they go back the more I distrust them. John Shaw is not a great name to search as it may have been quite common. Have you looked for any wills/probate, probably at the Prerogative Court of York which covered the north of England and are held by the Borthwick Institute in York and maybe online. You could check with the Durham record office as they may have indexes.
junkers

Postby ciderdrinker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi
You may want ot look at Wills here
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

For what it's worth I'd go for Ralph Natress.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby PaulH01 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for your replies!
Junkers, no, I always take user-supplied family trees with a large pinch of salt, too, although they are sometimes a good 'basis for negotiation'.

Ciderdrinker, thanks for the link - I've seen the abstracts before but not the actual wills via FS. That could also be helpful with some of my other Durham ancestors e.g. Hutton.
Is there any particular reason you said you'd go with Ralph? I thought the Stanhope one might be better for age (Anne there was 21 at the time of marriage, the other two would have been 27) and John does some up earlier in the Shaws' children names than Ralph. Other than that, I've not really got any clues. No idea where the name Martha comes from.

The Weardale museum has a family history database, presumably with loads of Nattrasses, so I may contact them too. But that would probably only be relevant for Stanhope.
PaulH01

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 am

Hi
I went with Ralph because it's usually the younger sons who are named after the mother's father.
Usually the older ones are named after Dad and his father.

There are records availible here too
www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php
But they are pay per view and most are on Familysearch

The problem you have is that christenings for Auckland st Andrew on line seem few and far between so they may be there and just not showing up on line.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby PaulH01 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks again, ciderdrinker - I have seen the DurhamRecordsOnline link before but had forgotten about it. ...
I'm not sure what more info I would get by buying the record, and the coverage doesn't seem to be as complete as FS anyway - for example, it hasn't got the 1736 Shaw/Nattress marriage, which might have given me valuable info as to where Anne Nattress came from.
On the subject of names... take your point about Ralph, although there is a Ralph Nattress b 1670 in Stanhope, father John, as well, who could well be a great-uncle of the Anne from Stanhope. None from Witton Gilbert, though, so that may be a sign that it isn't the Anne from there.
Going by the old tradition about naming the first son after the father's father, the second son after the mother's father, the first daughter after the mother's mother, and the second daughter after the
father's mother, then this would be (unless some of their children aren't listed) John/Anne Shaw and Robert/Elizabeth Nattrass, none of which fit in with anything on FS. Also, as I said, I have no idea where the Martha comes from.
So, as you say, given the incomplete data, I'm joining you in thinking it might be Ralph, and the Hamsterley connection. I've already found ancestors from Hamsterley (Lindsley), and visited the place, so it looks like an increasingly important place for me! I must pay it another visit :D
Thanks again
PaulH01
PaulH01

Return to General research queries