Moderator Control Panel ]

Email notifications of replies set-up?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Email notifications of replies set-up?

Postby Lyndale » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:48 am

Dear Listeners, can anyone please advise me how to set up my profile so that responses to my posts on the forum are alerted to my email address? I can't find any tab to click on to set this up. Currently I'm not being notified. Thanks in advance, Lyndale in Melbourne.
Lyndale

Re: Email notifications of replies set-up?

Postby avaline » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 am

Try the user control panel, left hand side towards the top, but I think there may be a problem with the site as I haven't been getting notifications for a long time now.
avaline

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 am

As Avaline says, there is a problem with notifications, see post under technical help.
Mick Loney

Postby Lyndale » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:13 am

Dear Avaline and Mick, many thanks for a prompt response, cheers Lyndale.
Lyndale

Postby Lyndale » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 am

Maybe the Moderator can send me the answer to what I found following Avaline and Mick's advice?

I went into 'Edit Posting Defaults', then into 'Notify Me Upon Replies By Default', which has a 'Yes' 'No' option. It was defaulted to 'No', but when I changed it to 'Yes', it automatically jumps back to 'No'.

I find this frustrating because I can virtually solve Chipmunk's 'Medal Citation' query of 8 May if the submitter provides the very basic information I requested in my reply 27 June, but I fear that in the time elapsed the submitter is not checking back on the forum and with no auto notification, won't know that I've responded. Regards Lyndale.
Lyndale

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm

If you try clicking on their username, you get an option to send them a private message. Whether this suffers from same problem I’m not sure. I’ll send you one, and you can see if you get an e-mail or not :D
Mick Loney

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 pm

I’ve just sent you a PM.
Mick Loney

Postby Lyndale » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 am

Hi Mike, I presume your personal PM would come up as an alert on my email,. but alas nothing in my in-box this morning (AU Eastern Standard Time, 11 hours ahead of the UK). Cheers Graham.
Lyndale

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 am

PMs are not notified either I am afraid. You just have to sign into the Forum to see if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am

Graham,
As meekhcs has said, it would appear that one doesn’t get e-mails for PM’s either, but it may be worth sending a PM to the person you wish to connect with, as they should get some sort of notification that they have an unread PM, next time they log in. Did you get one on your home screen after you logged on to tell you that you had a PM from me?
Assuming they log in of course :D m
Mick Loney

Next

Return to General research queries