Moderator Control Panel ]

Albany, New York Conveyances look-up?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Albany, New York Conveyances look-up?

Postby MayHam » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Am researching the following reference in Albany City, even though, the property was in Manhattan.
13 Jun 1803, Albany (Liber M.R. of Conveyances page 169)- George Pollock to John Bartow Prevost

Unfortunately, the Albany Conveyances aren't available on FamilySearch. Just curious if anyone would be willing to do a look-up?

Many thanks for your consideration.
MayHam

Re: Albany, New York Conveyances look-up?

Postby MoVidger » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:12 pm

There is an online book on google: Documents of the Assembly of the State of New York, Volume 32 published in 1912 -- see pages 128-129. It includes a lengthy excerpt from a letter George Pollock wrote to Mrs Gulian Verplanck. It also mentions that he conveyed a small parcel of land (including a burial plot) to a Cornelia Verplanck. Apologies if you have already seen it. I'd include the link, but it may be too long.
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Good eye, MoVidger. I do indeed have a copy of that book.

It references another document (Liber 81 pages 303-304) which should read pages 403-404. I've never heard of a Liber (ie Deed Book) called M.R., so, am hoping someone will be kind enough confirm.

The property was called Claremont and was located across from where Grant's Tomb stands in Riverside Park. The 3rd Viscount Courtenay lived there for about two years prior to the War of 1812.
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 am

I'm no expert, but it sounds like anything related to Albany deed records would be archived at the New York State Archives, or possibly New York Public Library? Have you tried contacting either? http://iarchives.nysed.gov/xtf/view?doc ... /A0453.xml

This link contains a fair bit of property transfer details for the Claremont: http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2 ... r-and.html
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:35 am

You are really smart, MoVidger! Thank you!

Your link from the New York State Archives mentions "Deeds, 1659-1846" (by the New York Secretary of State) have been digitized by Familysearch, which I see can be found here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

Unfortunately, it doesn't list any Liber M.R., so, I'm puzzled. The records can be viewed at my local centre, though, so that's good. I wasn't aware the images are separated from the New York land records, which have also been digitized here:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... ity=Online

Thank you, also, for the article about Claremont. I wasn't aware Lord Courtenay was in New York in 1809. Good find!
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:16 am

As regards "MR", could it relate to a previous numbering scheme? Example: In a NY Legislative Document dated 1923, there is a reference to "Liber 27 of Deeds...[formerly numbered MR/F] contains the conveyance dated January 21, 1794..."

Are you researching Claremont and/or Lord Courtenay?
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 pm

That's interesting. Thanks!
I'm researching both Claremont and Lord Courtenay.
MayHam

Postby MayHam » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 pm

Just an quick update...
Found the deed in Liber 35 thanks to my local LDS family history center.
Count me a happy camper and thanks for your help, MoVidger!
MayHam

Return to General research queries