Moderator Control Panel ]

St Mawgan in Pydar Cornwall

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

St Mawgan in Pydar Cornwall

Postby Eclaire » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 am

Hi - many of my ancestors were born, married and died in the village of St Mawgan in Cornwall from the early 1600s until around 1830. I am now writing up some of our family history and wondering where I can find information about the type of work they may have done. (I have looked on the internet but there is little written about St Mawgan). I believe this area was known for tin and copper mining and agriculture but were there other types of work being done? Or are these the main areas of employment. What was life like then? What was the housing like there, what did they eat. I live in Australia so cannot access the libraries or history centres in Cornwall so if anyone knows where I can find info out I would be very appreciative. Thank you. Claire
Eclaire

Re: St Mawgan in Pydar Cornwall

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27 am

If you are happy to spend a few dollars I would suggest you look at the Cornwall Family History Society www.cornwallfhs.com Look at the site first but they do charge for their monthly journal and access to their full data base

For free
www.opc-cornwall.org there is a parish page for St Mawgan in Pydar. OPC stands for online parish (another term for village) clerk. Several counties have these sites and most are free. I have not used the Cornwall site but the equivalent in Dorset is excellent. Someone on the site should be able to point you in the right direction for further research.

Cornwall-genuki www.genuki.org.uk and search for the Cornwall page

Familysearch www.familysearch.org/search again their will be records for Cornwall

The National Archives may contain references for your family Name www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Newspaper Archives www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk you can search for free but you will need to pay to access articles

Failing that just play around on the internet searching for history of St Mawgan/Cornwall/mining in Cornwall etc.

Good Luck
meekhcs

Postby Eclaire » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:15 am

Thank you Meekhcs - I have used several of the sites you suggested and found the OPC one very good but will look at it again. Also the FHS one is worth a try too. I guess you are right - it is best to just play around with the internet and keep trying that as well. Thanks again. Claire
Eclaire

Postby brunes08 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:17 pm

The Arundell family owned much of the land in and around St Mawgan, living in Lanherne House. They lived there from the 13th to the 18th centuries. It is possible that some of your ancestors may have been employed on the estate as the population then and now is small.
You may also find some help from the Cornwall Record Office and Cornish Studies Library. However, both are currently closed as they have been moving into a new building. They should be re-opening in the early part of September.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Eclaire » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 am

Thanks for the information about the Arundell Family - I have seen some things about them and will look further. I appreciate your help
Eclaire

Return to Local history