Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Ancestry Buckinghamshire Records

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 am

Hello,

Whilst extensively researching my ancestors I have found the majority of them came from Oxfordshire and the surrounding counties. Ancestry has most of the research sources I need for these counties except for Buckinghamshire which uses sources from Familysearch. I was wondering if anybody knows why Ancestry doesn’t have records for Buckinghamshire such as parish baptisms, marriages, burials etc and relies on familysearch for sources?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Re: Ancestry Buckinghamshire Records

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 am

"Because..." :)

FindMyPast has indexes for Bucks, but no images. I have a suspicion that these indexes were done by local societies but I am only guessing.

Maybe worth pointing out that there is no obligation on Record Offices to publish (or cause to be published) anything online - if a commercial provider comes along, then a lot depends on the cash that's being quoted. And no provider is going to sign up to a deal to digitise and index a load of parish registers only for another body to come along and undercut them.

So whether there are any financial and contract issues for Bucks, or whether they just simply haven't got round to it yet, I've no idea. I suspect that there are still several counties with missing coverage yet - Somerset, for instance, has only partial coverage on Ancestry last time I looked.

Re: Ancestry Buckinghamshire Records

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:14 am

Because Bucks Archives haven't given/sold them the rights to use images of the records they hold.

FindMyPast have some Buckinghamshire parish records (transcripts, not images).
Post a reply