Moderator Control Panel ]

Stainland, Calderdale workhouse

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Stainland, Calderdale workhouse

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 am

I've a feeling the answer to my query will be "Sorry, no" but wanted to ask anyway. Do online records for Stainland workhouse c1835 exist?

Elizabeth Taylor (of Halifax) gave birth there in January 1835. I'm hoping for any crumb of info that would help confirm her parents. I've found five "likely" couples in the Halifax area, but I need to know where Elizabeth entered the workhouse from, to narrow it down a bit.

According to son Joseph's baptism records, her Place of Abode is "poor house". Not much help. :roll:

I've been searching for Elizabeth in the Halifax "List of the Regular Poor" on Ancestry's West Yorkshire, England, Select Poor Law and Township Records, 1663-1914. But it appears the List begins April 1835.

Would this List include workhouse inhabitants? Elizabeth's residence place on 1 July is still Stainland. FYI: She later marries the father (Jonathan Holmes) in Shipley on 21 July 1835.

Any suggestions/advice on where to look next will be grateful received!
MoVidger

Re: Stainland, Calderdale workhouse

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:03 am

UPDATE: I now have a very likely candidate for Elizabeth. There's a 29 Dec 1811 baptism for an Elisabeth Taylor in Ripponden. Father Abraham (weaver) and mother Betty. Their residence is Barkisland, which is 2 miles west of Stainland. Hmm.

She's a good fit for three reasons: Elizabeth's second son was named Abraham; she goes by "Betty" in the 1841 to 1861 census reports; and her census birth years are fairly consistent with 1811. Her age at death in Oct 1869 is given as "54", but her son (informant) may not have known her exact birth date.

I will continue to research this Taylor family for confirmation. This will break a major brick wall if I have the right family. :D
MoVidger

Re: Stainland, Calderdale workhouse

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 pm

I googled the Calderdale Workhouse. I spotted the Calderdale Family History Society. Perhaps you might find some help there. The website is cfhsweb.com.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Return to General research queries