Moderator Control Panel ]

Can I track my Great Great Grandfather's birth in Spain.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can I track my Great Great Grandfather's birth in Spain.

Postby YetAnorUsename » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:14 pm

Alexander William Carey, my Great Great Grandfather, first appears on the 1871 census, born in Spain in 1860. His parents were there from some time after 1856, and back between 1863 and 1866.

How can I find more about this period abroad. Why was the family there?
YetAnorUsename

Re: Can I track my Great Great Grandfather's birth in Spain.

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:45 am

Could the Spain connection have something to do with the Carey family possibly being Quakers? I note that daughter Georgina is mentioned in the U.S. and UK, Quaker Published Memorials, 1818-1919. Also, baptisms for Alexander's children can be found in the London, England, Non-conformist Registers, 1694-1931.

Were the Carey family traveling to Spain to set up Quaker groups or Quaker Movements?
MoVidger

Re: Can I track my Great Grandfather's birth in Spain.

Postby YetAnorUsename » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:10 pm

That's an interesting thought. Certainly when I knew him, my grandfather Robert John (Alexander William's son) was Presbyterian.
I've realised that while fighting with this forum to post my question, I've got an extra great in the title. (the forum kept insisting my post which originally had more detail was too spamy).
I'm wondering whether Georgina married into Quakers, and her husband died, because while I'd tracked her through censuses with the rest of the family, she was only ever Georgina, and in the Quaker linked entries, Georgina Jane Young Carey.
I'll try to follow up on your idea.
YetAnorUsename

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:34 pm

According to her Probate record, Georgina (of West Hartlepool) died a spinster in 1916, in Aberchirder.

Perhaps it was only Georgina who was the Quaker in the Carey family. This link may may provide more information: http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/ar ... ds-Quakers

It's important to remember that Quakers do not follow the practice of baptisms, which could have something to do with the baptism fields below being blank.

Scotland Births & Baptisms 1564-1950
First name(s) Georgina Jane Young
Last name Carey
Gender Female
Birth year 1856
Birth place Montrose,Angus,Scotland
Baptism year -
Baptism date -
Baptism place -

Father's first name(s) Robert
Father's last name Carey
Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
Mother's last name Whyte
Place Montrose
County Forfarshire (Angus)
Country Scotland
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:11 am

The lack of a post 1855 baptism in Scotland is likely to be a red herring. Once Civil Registration came in in Scotland in 1855, then it seems very difficult to find any records of baptisms. It's difficult to even know if baptismal registers were kept generally - a few appear in local archives, I think.

The LDS seemed, from memory, to have compiled post 1855 records for Scotland from the civil registration data - that's probably what we see here for that 1856 birth - as such, baptismal data is almost certainly unknown, so one shouldn't think that it's likely that the child wasn't baptised.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries