Moderator Control Panel ]

House names to house numbers

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

House names to house numbers

Postby SarahDevs » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to find out the modern address for a house that only had a name in 1907?

I am trying to find the house number for Tintara (formerly Lintard), Heatherside Road, Ewell, Surrey. I've tried Google and Google Maps but cannot find what number it is in 2019.

My Edwardian house was formally known as Trefern (and can be found in local paper searchers under that name) but is now plain no. 18.

Short of walking down the street looking for lettering is there a way to find out which house was formerly known as Tintara?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Re: House names to house numbers

Postby ianbee » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Surrey electoral registers are on ancestry, you could try following the occupants/house/street through them. Should go up to the second world war at least.
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:24 pm

Interestingly, the Thomas Mason family resided at "Tintara" in Ewell in the 1911 census. In 1901, the same family were living at "Tintara" Kingston Road, New Malden. Perhaps the Mason's named all of their Surrey abodes "Tintara"?
MoVidger

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:12 am

You could try ‘driving’ down the road on Google Earth, and see if you can read any house numbers either side of property. Failing that, look at 1939 register, and look at adjacent entries there.

It may be it wasn’t given a number! I recently moved from a village on Gower, where ALL properties were named, not a single number (nor road name) used in any of their addresses! :D
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am

I was just about to start the search for our Gt Gt Grandfathers house in Woolston, Southampton when I saw this post.
Thanks to the responses here it took me 10 minutes to match up the street directories and the 1939 Register to find the house number from the House name I started with.
The 1907 directory had house names only, the 1912-13 had house name and number and the numbers tied in with the house numbers used in 1939.I was lucky that a couple of people who lived next door in 1912-13 were still there in 1939 and their house number was the same in both places.
Thanks everyone.
meekhcs

Postby ianbee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:57 pm

We may be a bit short of directories for Ewell with listings by street
1907 Epsom directory tells us that Tintara (Thomas Mason) was on the west side of Heatherside Road.
1932 Epsom directory tells us that the west side of Heatherside Road was odd numbers

Autumn 1919 electoral register, Ewell, has Joseph Bale Burnard and Ann Burnard at Tintara, Heatherside Road.
Ditto Spring 1920. These registers are arranged by name, not street.
The next one available appears to be Spring 1921
This has Albert Edward Clarke and Maude Mary Clarke at Tintara, Heatherside Road. The Burnards must have packed up and gone.
In Autumn 1921 we have Albert Edward Clarke and Maude Mary Clarke at Rose Cottage, Heatherside Road.
There's no indexing by ancestry of a Rose Cottage in Heatherside before then, nor Tintara after, so hopefully the Clarkes are still in the same house and have renamed it.

Then in Spring 24 not only are the Clarkes listed at Rose Cottage, Heatherside Road, but also Samuel and Kate Louisa Herbert.
Can we hope they are at the same house? Yes, because the 1929 register now lists by street, and the Herberts and Clarkes are all together there!
In the 1929 register the house before Rose Cottage is called Hawthorn, the house after it is called Oakhurst. And that seems to tie in with Tintara in the 1911 census, which was in between Hawthorn and Oakhurst.

In 1932 we see the Herberts at number 49 Heatherside Road.
At 47 are the Harveys, Harold and Elsie, whose address had previously been listed as Hawthorn.

So, I am hoping Tintara = Number 49
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 am

What may have been overlooked, is that the street may have been re-numbered at some point. Although censuses may appear to show family moving house on same street, it may simply be the same house, but house has been renumbered between censuses.

Personally, I can’t see why the concern over what the house number should be,unless you want to physically identify its exact location :D
Mick Loney

Postby jimbo50 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Brilliant detective work, Ianbee. The house at no 47 still bears the name Hawthorne Villa etched in the glass above the door. Thanks to Google maps/Mick Loneys 'streetwalk' advice earlier.
Unfortunately, no 49 is apparently nameless now.
Diagonally across the road, the current No 48 though looks like a candidate for Rose Cottage. Although no name indication in Google Photo.
jimbo50

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks, Jimbo.

jimbo50 wrote:The house at no 47 still bears the name Hawthorne Villa etched in the glass above the door.

Fantastic spot
ianbee

Postby SarahDevs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your help and curiosity!

It really is just to set eyes on the actual building as I have read so much about it - I live in a house of a similar age and am now wondering what went on here through the ages. Alas a newspaper search showed nothing more than piano lesson whereas Tintara was subject to quite scandalous goings-on back in 1907!

As an aside Rose Cottage is a hospital euphemism for the Morgue (locally to me if not nationally) so it's not a name I would choose for my house...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Return to General research queries