Moderator Control Panel ]

Chrissie Maclennan

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Chrissie Maclennan

Postby RoseR » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Good evening,

I’m looking for information on a Chrissie Maclennan, born in Stornoway Isle of Lewis in 1935. Her parents were Donald and Christina and her mother died soon after her birth. She was the youngest of 5 children from her father’s first marriage, the others all being boys.

I can find nothing on her other than her birth record. Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rose.
RoseR

Re: Chrissie Maclennan

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi Rose,
take a look at scotlands people. they have nine marriages listed for a Christina Maclennan.
(presumably Chrissie is Christina).All in Stornoway.
Obviously the dates exclude some as either too early or too late.
Good luck
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby RoseR » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi Grace,

Thanks for that. I’ve seen the marriages on scotlandspeople but I don’t think any are relevant. Her birth was registered as Chrissie rather than Christina and she didn’t have a middle name. I can’t be sure that she stayed in Stornoway as she has relatives there who describe her as a “mystery”. I know I’m clutching at straws. It’s so much easier looking for people in previous generations! Thank you for your suggestion.

Rose.
RoseR

Postby pollymac » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:01 am

I have many people called Christina in my Scottish family tree. The records on Scotlands People show that most of them have used variants of their name. My aunt was always known as Chris, Chrissie or Chrissy but her birth was registered as Christina, her marriage as Christine. Other Christinas have been recorded as Christy, Cirsty, Chirsty and Kirsty. The surname Maclennan can also have variants such as Mclennan, Mclenan, Maclenan. Do you know her mother's maiden surname? If she died in Scotland after 1974 this should help you find her. If your Chrissie was a 'mystery' to her relatives perhaps she left Scotland. Many people from the Highlands and Islands of Scotland emigrated eg. Mary Macleod, mother of Donald Trump, left Stornaway and moved to the United States.
pollymac

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:33 pm

I agree with Pollymac,I have a Chrissie in my tree,always referred to as Chrissie but was Christina.
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby pollymac » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Another thought - I have also found people, particularly in Scotland, who had no middle name on their birth record but aquired/assumed one later in life.
pollymac

Postby RoseR » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Thank you polymac and Grace. As her birth was registered as Chrissie I didn’t consider that she might decide to call herself Christina. That was her mother’s name, she died when Chrissie was just a few months old. I’ve learnt something with regards to acquiring a middle name in later life. In all my years of research I’ve never come across that particular trait. My Scottish research is still somewhat limited and needs a little more work I think. The variants of Maclennan don’t help either. Her mother’s maiden name was also Maclennan. I’ve checked if she died after 1974, using this with no luck. I appreciate your suggestions and I’ll keep looking.

Rose.
RoseR

Postby pollymac » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:18 pm

There is a death on Scotlands People for a Christine Maclennan, age 61 with mother's maiden surname Maclennan in 1996 in Glasgow, Martha St.
Another entry in 1996 in the same place with the same reference of 610/152 is for a Christine Mcdaid, age 61 with mother's maiden surname Maclennan. This is the same person. So a Christine Maclennan married a Mcdaid.

Looking at marriages on Scotlands People, there is one for a Christina Maclennan in 1958 in Tradeston, Glasgow. She married Thomas William Mcdaid.

Unfortunately these records are too recent to view online and only available to order or to view at one of the Scotlands People centres. Of course, this may not be the Chrissie you are looking for but it is a possibility.
pollymac

Postby RoseR » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Hello pollymac,

That’s certainly a possibility, the only one that’s even come close. Thank you for that. I’ll consider whether I should send for the certificate as it’s the only way of being sure, one way or the other. I do know there was another family member who moved to Glasgow in the 1930s so it’s possible she could have been sent to her after her mother died. I think I’ll definitely send for the certificate otherwise I’ll never know for sure. Thanks again,

Rose.
RoseR

Postby RoseR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 pm

This is for pollymac,

I wanted to thank you for finding the marriage and death of Chrissie/Christina. I sent for her marriage certificate, which arrived today, and her parent’s details leave no doubt it’s the correct person. Now I just need to find if she and her husband had any children, which won’t be easy. There are many births of Macdaid’s in Glasgow. One step at a time. Thank you so much for your input, it’s much appreciated.

Rose.
RoseR

Next

Return to General research queries